Hatching duck cracked egg but yolk isn't absorbed

Lochloosachicks

Songster
Jul 2, 2017
A first grade class at my school is hatching duck eggs. I've hatched chicks before, but don't have experience with ducks. The other 3 hatched 3 days ago. It's on day 31. There was movement in the egg so they cracked into the air cell area to assist. One other needed assistance and this one already had a crack in it. This was 24 hours ago. The membrane does not appear to be drying enough to hatch but it is sucked in. What can we do to help??

The dark area in the membrane is bc they put Vaseline on a small area that was bleeding yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 25
I don't see any kind of internal or external pip, but you said it broke the shell? Did it pip on the wrong end of the egg not visible in this picture?

I ask because this actually looks like a DIS (dead in shell) to me from this picture. Do you see the duckling moving under the membrane? If it was alive you would clearly see movement.

It did not pip. The egg has had a crack in it, but not due to trying to hatch.

I edited my post, so you may not have seen it, so I'm just gonna post it again, sorry!

"I ask because this actually looks like a DIS (dead in shell) to me from this picture. Do you see the duckling moving under the membrane? If it was alive you would clearly see movement."

It's definitely alive. I can see movement.

Can you coat them membrane with coconut oil so that you can clearly see into the egg, and try to find where the beak is? It might be malpositioned.

In my experience, when they don't internally pip on their own, it's not a good prognosis. And this little one would be very late, unless you suspect it's a muscovy or muscovy cross.

This is a pic of the other 2 that hatched a few days ago. Would Vaseline work? I can run and get coconut oil if not.

Attachments

• IMG_3453.JPG
    IMG_3453.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom