Hatching duck eggs naturally

Kelster65

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Rockfield, KY
Hi all,
I have looked through many posts to try avoiding duplication, but here goes. I have 4 Rouens hens, one drake. I was just away for 6 days and about 20 of my Rouen duck eggs were not collected during that time. At some point one or two of the ladies started sitting on the eggs. They take turns but aren't sitting constantly. I've tried candling the eggs this morning but since they're anywhere from today to a week old, I'm not entirely sure what to look for to see if they're developing. I didn't think Rouens typically went broody and can say with certainty she's not been sitting on them the whole time I was away. When candled, I do see some yolks moving around inside when turned, some with "veins", some with a small darker spot in them. I haven't intended to raise ducklings from eggs yet, but do use use the eggs daily when I'm here. So... questions. If the duck hen isn't sitting constantly, would they still develop and if I decide to take them off the nest would they still be ok for consumption if they've been developing? Thank you.

So... questions. If the duck hen isn't sitting constantly, would they still develop
Possibly. I think I would leave them alone for another week and see if the hens will start sitting in that time.
if I decide to take them off the nest would they still be ok for consumption if they've been developing? Thank
You could candle them to check for veins. If no veins, you could probably use them.

Possibly. I think I would leave them alone for another week and see if the hens will start sitting in that time.

You could candle them to check for veins. If no veins, you could probably use them.
Thank you! I went back and looked on my coop cam and one duck hen started sitting on the eggs on the 8th. She leaves for about an hour 3 or 4 times a day. It's the cutest thing- Puddleton my drake comes in to call her to meal and swim time. I haven't tried hatching eggs before and not completely clear on the nature of their laying habits. I was concerned about the possible start/ stop incubation of her sitting on them and what that might do to development. She can't possibly cover 23 eggs and now I'm thinking I need to remove several so she's not overwhelmed.

Glad she started sitting. Give her another few days, then if you want, candle them and toss any that are clear.

Back
Top Bottom