Hatching Duck Eggs

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok I need so information on hatching Duck Egg , I know some say that hatching Duch eggs are very hard , but from what I’ve been read is this ;

Incubate 27-29 days
Temp. 100* F
Humidity 45%- 55%
Wet bulb temp. 82- 86 *F
STOP TURNING ON DAY 25
Humidity increase to 55%- 65%
Wet bulb reading 88- 90*F

ANY THING MORE I SHOULD KNOW -THIS IS MY FIRST BATCH OF HATCHING DUCK EGGS ,
ANY INFORMTIOM WOULD BE GREATFULLY APPERACITED

Thanks Alan

Only Muscovies go that long, any other duck egg goes for a total of 21 days. I have some pekin mix eggs in my incubator right now on day 14, all developing very well at 99.5-100 degrees and 50%-55% humidity. I heard the Muscovies are hard to incubate somewhat, but I have not had any more trouble with the duck eggs that I incubate over the chicken eggs, in fact I think I get better hatch rates from the duck eggs.

Good Luck.

The incubation period for ducks depends on the breed. The post above is incorrect... there are no ducks that hatch in 21 days. Most mallard-derived ducks take 28 days to hatch. Muscovies can take up to 35 days to hatch. Bantam ducks, such as calls, take only 26-27 days to hatch. Wild waterfowl take longer. For instance, mandarins take 29-30 days to hatch.

In an air-forced incubator, the temp should be 99.5. Most sources say humidity should be 45-55%, though you'll find people that claim it should be higher.

Last edited:
Quote:
What temp and humidity for a still air? What do you bump the humidity up to? Should you spritz all duck eggs during incubation? I'm going to put blue swedish and cayuga's in tonight.

Quote:
What temp and humidity for a still air? What do you bump the humidity up to? Should you spritz all duck eggs during incubation? I'm going to put blue swedish and cayuga's in tonight.

For still air, the temp is supposed to be a bit higher... I believe 100 to 101, with the temp at the top of the egg right at about 100. I use a fan assisted incubator, so you may want to verify that. About 3 days before hatch you should increase the humidity by 10-15%. Some people spritz duck eggs and claim it helps their hatch rates.

You might want to read this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=306686

Last edited:
Yep, sorry Scott is right, I blame it on the sleep deprivation, lol. most ducks are 28 days, mine are on day 21 is what I was thinking, lol, duh! and my chicks are hatching today on day 21.

Sorry for the confusion, I finally got some sleep last night, lets hope I can give better advice now.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I might add that some people, including myself, believe that for optimum hatch conditions duck eggs should be turned on their sides not vertically.

Back
Top Bottom