hatching duckling blood

one, but its laid later then the others so that one is going to have to stay under a bit
How much later? Staggered hatches typically don't work with broodies, since she has a hatched duckling already, she'll soon want to get off the nest to look after it, even if that means abandoning late hatching eggs.
Could you get/borrow an incubator from somewhere?

How much later? Staggered hatches typically don't work with broodies, since she has a hatched duckling already, she'll soon want to get off the nest to look after it, even if that means abandoning late hatching eggs.
Could you get/borrow an incubator from somewhere?
i can try and find one for cheap but i’ll probably not be able to get one, can a heat lamp work too? since i hatched the mom and dad with that but its a lot of work

If it’s under mom you need to just let it be
Hopefully under her baby won’t wiggle out
I would go find something to keep you busy so your not bugging mom or baby
I have ti find things to do when I’m hatching so I don’t watch my bator like a tv
yeah i left it now, its quite late so i’ll probably go to sleep or watch some tv and check back tmrw, but im terrified i’ll wake up to a dead baby, its sort of a maternal instinct 😅 so weird

i can try and find one for cheap but i’ll probably not be able to get one, can a heat lamp work too? since i hatched the mom and dad with that but its a lot of work
Yes, a heat lamp would work, but you'd need a thermometer and a verrry humid room.
Keep it as a last resort, if she ends up abandoning the last egg, do you know when that egg is due to hatch? She may sit until then, if its soon enough.
I'd take new duck mommy's advice and leave this one be. I know it's hard to, but it'd be best to distract yourself.

Yes, a heat lamp would work, but you'd need a thermometer and a verrry humid room.
Keep it as a last resort, if she ends up abandoning the last egg, do you know when that egg is due to hatch? She may sit until then, if its soon enough.
I'd take new duck mommy's advice and leave this one be. I know it's hard to, but it'd be best to distract yourself.
i think two days later maybe three, shes a very sweet girl and also takes chicken eggs under her wings so im almost certain she’ll stay, otherwise can i put it under a chicken? might sound weird but i have a chicken that used to sit on everyone eggs and brood them out (chicken eggs) and she was a awesome mom, but i dont know if its the best idea since its a duck egg not a chicken egg, and im now just watching tv, no ones home so i cant distract myself with that lol, do you think the duckling will make it tho?

yeah i left it now, its quite late so i’ll probably go to sleep or watch some tv and check back tmrw, but im terrified i’ll wake up to a dead baby, its sort of a maternal instinct 😅 so weird
It’s very scary
One thing I have learned from hatching and assisting is
The smaller the hole the better
I only go as big as a pencil eraser end till I see all the veins are gone
I can candle the sides of the egg above where the air cell goes and see the veins inside
I don’t have to give any wetting of the membrane at all
Once I see the veins gone I take the babies out
They are perfectly wet like they should be and I haven’t had to be in and out of the bator
I don’t even check them till after 48 hours
Lots of learning for me to get to that point
I use to continue to open slowly and I would need ti be constantly wetting the membrane
Babies would get dried out ect

It’s very scary
One thing I have learned from hatching and assisting is
The smaller the hole the better
I only go as big as a pencil eraser end till I see all the veins are gone
I can candle the sides of the egg above where the air cell goes and see the veins inside
I don’t have to give any wetting of the membrane at all
Once I see the veins gone I take the babies out
They are perfectly wet like they should be and I haven’t had to be in and out of the bator
I don’t even check them till after 48 hours
Lots of learning for me to get to that point
I use to continue to open slowly and I would need ti be constantly wetting the membrane
Babies would get dried out ect
thank you so much! i’m trying very hard to learn from my mistakes and hopefully my next batch will go better :) im gonna end up selling them tho so how long should i wait for them to go away from their mom? i read 8 weeks but i dont really trust google anymore

baby was just born! little wonkly but hes doing great!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom