hatching duckling eggs help!

Hello! I am curious about this too, I have ducklings cracking shells, but am afraid they are not moist enough.
Could they be misted in this stage?
Thanks, and good luck Jncoursey
I think I read somewhere that if they are misted it has to be warm and to avoid misting their beaks so water doesn't go into their nose.

Misting should not be done with duck eggs past lockdown date (last 3-4 days before hatch date). Misting works backwards than what one would logically think. Instead of keeping the eggs moist, it actually draws more moisture out as the mist evaporates. (same applies to wrapping wet paper towels around an egg!)

A brown membrane can be moistened with a thin dab of vaseline, Neosporin or similar, or coconut oil to keep it moist and to aide in the chick/duckling to not stick to it. Brown either means it's too dry inside the incubator, or the chick has stopped moving, or is stuck inside the shell.

The original post picture looks like the duckling pipped thru a blood vessel, causing the membrane to discolor. It could be an inactive vessel, or it may be a problem. i hope its ok, and would love an update from the OP.

Back
Top Bottom