Hatching Ducks in school for the first time

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Judy Stone, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Judy Stone

Judy Stone In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Hi All,

I am hopefully hatching ducks in my second grade classroom this year. I have successfully hatch chicks using a magnify mini incubator with a self turning egg insert. I got my eggs from the farm on Wednesday and put them in my incubator, on their side. The turner did not turn them, maybe too big. So I removed the turning device and we have been hand turning 3 times a day. I picked up a new incubator today with an egg turner as we are not here on the weekends to turn them. I called the company because even though the box said it was good for hatching ducks, the egg turner specifically excludes duck eggs. They suggested I would be able to use the turner for my 8 eggs. I am transferring the eggs to the incubator this afternoon.

My two questions:
    Will my eggs be okay since they did not get great turning from Wednesday night until Thursday morning? I could collect some more eggs from the farm.
    Has anyone had success using egg turners for duck eggs?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I’m sure your eggs will be fine from Wednesday night to Thursday morning so try not to worry. I’m afraid I’ve not used a specific turner for duck eggs as I have Brinsea and you set the rails yourself for what ever size eggs you have. Quail up to geese will fit in there. I’m sure though if you pop by the duck section the keepers there should be able to offer you advice on turners they use ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

Good luck with your eggs and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

5. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

As Yorkshire Coop noted, you'll get lots of help and advice in the Duck forum. I hope your hatch goes well, that sounds like a great school project!

Teila and 007Sean like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello :frow sorry I don’t have any experience with ducks, but welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

7. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Hi! welcome!
    I'm sure you have a good long term plan for these duckies. Might be a good opportunity to teach kids responsible pet ownership. Let them know these are living creatures that will need lifelong care. Please keep us posted on your hatch!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Teila, N F C and 007Sean like this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Judy :frowWelcome and good luck with the hatch!

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

N F C and 007Sean like this.
  10. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Thank you for joining BYC! :D
    Duck Forums is the best bet for Duckie Questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: