Hatching ducks under Duck hen

mountainsnbooks

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2023
Hello all!

I am fairly new to duck keeping, and I allowed a momma to get a clutch of eggs and start laying on them. The problem is I realized the other hens are laying in her clutch when she is gone, and I now have 2 almost ready to hatch duck eggs and 15 egg of various stages nowhere near hatching. What can I do to keep all the eggs well once the babies hatch? Will mom keep sitting on the eggs? 🥚 help is needed! Thank you!

I would grab an incubator and remove the eggs once she leaves the nest
Yoy can candle the eggs daily and look for 3 things ti start the eggs on lockdown
Eggs rocking
Shadowing along the air cell
The air cell dips forward really fast
Pre marking them when you move them will help to know how much the air cell dips forward
Good luck and we are all here to help with any extra questions

I had a Mallard sitting on eggs from different Hens and some were from Muscovy/Rouens so I knew they were not going to hatch in the same time frame. I got a styrofoam cooler and a light bulb and hatched three of them out in my living room. They all lived even though I had to assist one. I had a coffee cup of water in the cooler and they hatched out on a towel with the 40 watt bulb and the lid on. I checked the temperature daily. A week later they came out but one did not so I put a hole in the shell and ended up peeling her out. She is now 6 months old and big as ever and is a Mule Duck but so friendly that I kept her. The brothers of her were rehomed. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom