Hatching Eggs!!!: 40+ Breeds to choose from: Starting at $3/each

I live in Redding, Do you live here or in Davis? If you live here I'd be very interested in picking some up from you. I like the mille fleur leghorns and the Americaunas.

Hi there Papa,
I am planning to order hatching eggs from you later on this year. I am reading about predicted hatch rates (50%?) for shipped eggs (not yours, but all shipped eggs!) and trying to do the chicken math on how many to order. I am in Oregon, so from California, it should be a relatively short trip.

If I want to hatch 20, should I order 35 and (assuming you toss in 5 extra) receive 40?

Do you think you have a higher/lower hatch rate than the "average" of 50%? I imagine that is a hard thing for you to predict.
But is there any anecdotal evidence that I might actually get 40 chicks? (that would be too many!)

They would be under a couple of (experienced mother) hens, not incubators..

Last edited:
Hi there Papa,
I am planning to order hatching eggs from you later on this year. I am reading about predicted hatch rates (50%?) for shipped eggs (not yours, but all shipped eggs!) and trying to do the chicken math on how many to order. I am in Oregon, so from California, it should be a relatively short trip.

If I want to hatch 20, should I order 35 and (assuming you toss in 5 extra) receive 40?

Do you think you have a higher/lower hatch rate than the "average" of 50%? I imagine that is a hard thing for you to predict.
But is there any anecdotal evidence that I might actually get 40 chicks? (that would be too many!)

They would be under a couple of (experienced mother) hens, not incubators..

I have had some pretty good hatch rates up that way and some not so great hatch rates, but there are just so many factors, you really cannot predict. Starting with the shipping, we cannot control how the box is handled, where it's left, etc. When I am ordering shipped eggs for myself, I plan on about a 50% hatch rate. I've had them as high as 100% on smaller batches of eggs and as low as 0% (more than a few times). :) They only thing I generally know is at what percentage I hatch them here on the farm. It would be highly unlikely that you would get 40 chicks from 40 eggs, almost impossible. :) I think most people would consider 30 chicks from that batch an amazing hatch, 20 chicks a good hatch, 10 chicks an OK hatch, and anything less than that a bummer. :) Wish I could give you specifics but it's simply not predictable with any consistency.

Hello Jeff just arrived home to 15 beautiful well packadged eggs even with the post office note on there they couldnt manage to follow basic instructions... oh well !!! I'm just excited to have them I'd like to thank you again. cant wait for them to settle so they can be ploped in the incubator!

Back
Top Bottom