HAtching eggs are "sweating"

pfmoore17

Songster
10 Years
Jan 13, 2010
CT
Hey BYCers,
I have a strange issue that hopefully one of you can set me straight. I recently set some eggs in my ECO20 'bator. They were clean (I didn't wash them, but their was no dirt or residue on them) and were sound with no visable cracks. After 24-48 hours, 2 out of 15 eggs starting oozing. There were specks of dried gelatin like stuff forming on the shell. It wasn't all over , just one or two spots. The color was tinted yellow, dry and brittle to the touch. It seems like some of the inner fluid leaked through micro cracks and "cooked" on the surface until dry. I thoroughly clean and sanitize my bator before setting the eggs, so I don't suspect bacteria in my bator. What do you think? Thanks in advance. Pete

I agree, this is a phenomenon that happens when your egg has been impregnated with bacteria. Get it out of the incubator before it spreads infection through that fluid.

Thanks for the responses. Well, yes, of course I removed them. I have had them in their long enuff for them to explode.

But I am still wondering, why the bubbleing on top?

Would you describe the material as similar to salt crystals on the exterior of the shell? We too have material on the outside of several newly set eggs...haven't incubated eggs in 30 years. This material was not on the eggs when we set them in the incubator. Please advise!

Would you describe the material as similar to salt crystals on the exterior of the shell? We too have material on the outside of several newly set eggs...haven't incubated eggs in 30 years. This material was not on the eggs when we set them in the incubator. Please advise!

Yes, but it s not white, more opaque yellow. I chucked the eggs asap. if it was bacteria, i didn't want it spreading to the other eggs. I thought suspected fecal matter to be the issue, as the eggs I get are not washed, straight from nest to me, and I don't wash them before putting in the bator, i just brush off any dirt matter on the outside.

I think it just happens sometimes. I bought some eggs that all looked fine but I have a bunch of weepers and rotten eggs. I've only ever had a few bad eggs from my own nests. I just make sure to keep an eye on them and toss anything suspicious. Good luck with the rest of your eggs. :D

Back
Top Bottom