Hatching eggs from the store?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 14, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi.
    Is it possible to buy like a dozen eggs from a store, like Wal-mart or something, and try to hatch them? I know that you can sometimes be luvky and get some fertile eggs when you buy them at a farm stand, but what about at a store? Thanks![​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might try the search feature as it's been done and asked many times. [​IMG]

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:search feature? What do you mean???[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    The Search at the top of the screen - there have been a few posts about hatching eggs bought from the store.

5. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No they won't hatch. The eggs at stores are from hens that are keep in pens with no roos.
    Chris

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    If I recall right, there are threads on here from people who actually hatched store eggs but I dont know all the details.

7. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    From what I remember about the other posts you can usually find eggs at a health food store that says they are fertile and some have had success hatching them - but they have to say fertile.

8. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Sure, but not from walmart eggs. You might find a local mom and pop store. OR, even cheaper, there are 'farm fresh egg' signs all over the place 77horses. We live in Maine! Woo hoo! In your face, city people. [​IMG]

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I spoke to Chino Valley Farms about this.

On average, their fertile eggs are between 7 and 30 days old when they hit the store. They have also been refrigerated.

You would have to get very lucky to have much success with them, and you would still not know what kind of chicks you might get.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have heard of people hatching Safeway store bought eggs. You might also try your local organic store or even better, the farm fresh eggs everyone is selling like Melilem suggested. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by