Hatching eggs, hear chirping. Normal?????

Rebjilek

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Pueblo, CO
Hi everyone! I am on day twenty and I don't see any pips yet, but I can hear chirping. Is this normal???? It isn't a sign of distress, is it???

Thank you for your quick response. That brings me comfort. I'm sooooooooo excited. I have twenty eggs setting. I'll keep posting any progress.

Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

Resist the impulse to open the incubator. As the chicks hatch
they will run about peeping, but need to dry completely and
can go a couple of days before eating or drinking. If you open
the incubator while a chick is pipping the drop in humidity can
cause the inner membrane to shrink around the chick. Keep the incubator
closed until you are sure all hatching is done.

I'm so excited for you. We just started hatching silkies this week. They were supposed to hatch on Thursday but they started hatching on Tuesday. Is that normal for bantams to hatch before the 21 days? I was a little shocked to see a chick walking around in the incubator yesterday. Then 2 more hatched in the middle of the night last night.

Also, if anyone knows anything about silkies (I am completely new to them). I think they are supposed to have black skin. One of the eggs that hatched was marked on the outside of the shell by the person I bought them from as a black silkie. I was a little surprised that the chick is white with white/peach colored skin. Is that considered an albino or just a mutt?

Super normal and awesome. But tempting to pick up and play with. Nope they don't need any help......Mine that chirp have always been just fine and strong. I have heard them chirp a day before hatch day before. Once we were watching TV and I heard chirping about 8 feet away from us and I turned off the TV and heard it even louder. I ran over there thinking the egg hatched. Nope she was just wiggling and singing alone with the TV I guess. Good luck!

I agree with the other posts. When you hear the chick peep it usually means it has pipped internally and not far from pipping the shell.

Quote:
Yup. When I hear peeping I know I can expect a pip in the next day. And once I get that pip, I know nothing more's likely to happen for AGES...

Thanks everyone for your advice. The chirper hatched out in the middle of the night. Doing well. None of my other eggs have pipped yet, but today is day 21. Hopefully I get many more out of this hatch. I'll keep posting.

Back
Top Bottom