Hatching eggs HELP!!!!What should I Do????

lorriejd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Punta Gorda FL.
I have two SEBASTOPOL GOOSE eggs that are now33 days old. I have not turned them since the 27 day, The humity is at a steady 72 and the temp at 99.5. Do they move at all before hatching? I read that you should be able to hear them in the egg is that true? I have not opened the incubator since day 27. Im thinking that they may of died, I have seen no movement at all. When do you think I should give up? I was thinking of painting the room where the rest of my eggs are do you think the fumes would be bad for the eggs?Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Try posting in emergency......

That helped me a great deal.

I kept pulling my eggs from under my chicken on day 21 (their normal cycle to hatch). I would feel for any type of movement. And I held the eggs up to my ear and heard peeping oh I was excited! It was just a matter of time. I also candled (flashlight) them to see movement.

But I have chickens......

Hi Lorijd
Since I have just started hatching seb I might not have the best information to offer but my first try resulted in a hatch 6 out of the 8 eggs that I bought and had shipped. Since that hatch which was almost two weeks ago I've hatched several more since.

Mine hatched on day 30 using a Havobator still air incubator and keeping the temp as close to 101.5 - 102 as possible. The thermostat gave me such worries that I decided to buy a fan on ebay and my son hooked it up about half way throught the incubating. The humidity for the first 27 days I kept as close to 55-60% and then the last 3 days kept it between 60 - 70%. It bounced up and down and made me a nervous reck but I loved those eggs and was doing everything possible to get them to hatch. I turned my eggs 3 x a day, about every 8 hours and kept a log so I would remember and also kept track of the temps and humidity for the entire incubating period.

After day 4, I was told to mist the eggs once a day and about 2 weeks I would let the eggs cool for about 5 minutes a day. I was told that would help to make stronger babies. These were tips from the people I bought eggs from and there were so many suggestions that I had to pull what I hoped was the best from everyone.

When you candled the eggs at day 27 were you able to see the baby poking it's little beak into the air sack at all? Was there a good size air pocket? If they were my eggs and for what it's worth I would candle those 2 eggs and see if there is any movement but also you should be able to hear the babies chirping at you when you talk to them. Perhaps your incubator was cooler than you thought and they will be slower to hatch. Believe me I have 4 thermometers in 1 incubator and very seldom do any 2 show the same temp or humidity. It's enough to make you pull your hair out.

On ebay you can buy a hygrometer from Springfied but save yourself a lot of money because they sell the same thing at Walmart in the light bulb isle and I think it was $6.00ish and no shipping charge.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, like I said this is a whole new world to me but what a rush when those little babies pop out of the egg. I sat and watched one hatch for several hours. FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you for your reply! I also have three thermostats and the humidity sensor. This is turning out to be a full time job. I have 9 more in another incubator.I take them out every morning and mist them with water let them cool for 10 min. Put them back in, turn them three time a day. I watch the orher ones for signs of movement none yet. I dont have the best candler maybe I should buy one. I have so much money invested already whats a few more. I have been buying my eggs online so they are being shipped. I had to get rid of 5 others eggs because they smelled really bad. I cant wait to see at least 1 hatch. My daughter is calling me from school to see if they hatched yet. I guess I will give it till Friday and see what happens, I just dont have the heart to throw them away. I hope they dont explode, I hear thats a real mess. Thank again Lorrie

Back
Top Bottom