Hatching Eggs in the Winter

RWall

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
I had a silkie go broody and went ahead and let her sit on her one egg and gathered a couple more over the next day just to see what would happen. I really had no idea if she'd stay there or even if they were fertile, but figured probably since I have 2 busy boys. Anyways… my coop is kinda open air style but where I have her sectioned off is covered and enclosed on 3 sides, of coarse just when they are ready to start hatching we get a cold front and it's pretty chilly out there. about 39 F. I have a heat light in her area, but is it enough or should I move them? I had planned to just leave them and let whatever happens happen, but now the time is here and I can't bring myself to be so blasé about it, I want them to survive. Part of me figures birds hatch eggs in the wild all the time, but I worry. So should I leave them or move them somewhere more protected and warmer?

Is she in direct draft? If not, she'll probably be fine. I'm in the same boat. My cochin went broody 3 weeks ago and her chick is hatching today. Our high today was 24. The chick is pipped and chirping vigorously. Mama has no heat and is in a nest box. When I felt under her a short time ago to see if the hatching is progressing, it is toasty warm under her.

Your hen will be able to keep the chick warm, so as long as she isn't in a draft, she should be fine.

OK good! I've been so stressed all day! I tried to cover the drafty areas, I don't think there is a direct draft on her and I've got 2 heat lamps right in front of the nest. I'll just cross my fingers that all goes well :) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom