Hatching eggs on Ebay

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Autumn Leaves, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I have my new incubator and am going to set it up and test run it this weekend.

I have some Orphington eggs coming from Papa's Poultry in October. I wanted to purchase another breed to just throw into the incubator along with his eggs. I was going to purchase some on Ebay but after reading some of the posts about eggs from there I am wary.

If you have had a good experience with hatching eggs on Ebay could you PM me the seller's name? This will be my first time hatching so I want to at least give my self a chance. I know shipping eggs is risky :)

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have only gotten duck eggs - and while I can't complain about the hatch rate - I will say that they didn't always appear to be the breed advertised. Have you looked on BYC for hatching eggs? I think you might have more luck.

3. Spitzboyz

Spitzboyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You could also go to a local auction, look at local ads like Craigslist or use Facebook to find local breeders or even ones more reputable.

4. Spitzboyz

Mar 26, 2014
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Too bad I have no Spitzhauben or Cochin eggs at this time, I'd send them your way "just because"!

1 person likes this.
  5. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    How would you suggest I ask for them? Should I go to the breed's post on the forum or under the selling section. This is all new and exciting for me and everyone here is so helpful

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I second craigslist unless you want a specific breed, barnyard muts are fun to hatch as you never know what you will get... Just contact the people selling farm fresh eggs on craigslist and find one that has roos and inquire about getting a dozen for hatching...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. Spitzboyz

Mar 26, 2014
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    On BYC, I'd go to the selling forums. You can find what you need but it is a little daunting since their is no way of filtering your state that I have found. I'd start a new thread in buying and title it "Looking for Hatching Eggs in "STATE".

8. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for all the help. I like the idea of buying from you guys

1 person likes this.
  9. Spitzboyz

Mar 26, 2014
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank you! Like I said, if I had any hatching eggs right now I'd send them your way! I really like getting hatching eggs from Facebook pages. For example: I get cross breed Appenzeller eggs from The Appenzeller Spitzhauben Club of America's Facebook page often. It works!

10. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio

I'll check out Facebook too - my husband is going to wonder where all these eggs are coming from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by