Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if someone can help me with a broody hen question...

My silkie went broody and a few days later my OEGB decided to join her. I don't have a lot of room and I was going to keep them together so I could section off part of the coop for them to protect their chicks from the rest of the flock. But I read in a couple of places that broodies will fight and might even hurt each other's eggs or chicks. Has anyone had this experience? I can't see my girls fighting each other. They are not super happy if I'm close to their nest but they've each had another hen in there with them. The OEGB has had at least two different hens go in her nesting box with her to lay their eggs. She gives em the stink eye but once they leave she just scoots their egg under her with the rest. She's building quite a collection.

I've cobrooded hens with eggs before. As long as their eggs are set too hatch at the same time you should be fine. I had a dark Cornish and a buff Minorca brood in separate nest boxes, then coparent the chicks together. They were adorable together and I'll tell you none of the other hens messed with those chicks. Mommas would have tag teamed em.

I would caution to move the hens and secure them unless you are marking their eggs and removing newly laid ones. The hens will get off their eggs after their chicks are a couple of days old and the eggs still in the nest will die. Staggered hatches don't work under Broodies. I like to pick up those cute little two or three hen houses people use in the cities. They make awesome brooder houses and generally have a run to go with them. Little to no work for me that way, and the hens are quite happy to not be bothered or have their eggs get broken while some fat hen tries to squeeze in beside them.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I cant read 816 posts on my phone...hope i didnt miss too much.

I have moved so if anyone need to send me anything please check with me or a mod for my new address. I sent the info to ktp.

If anyone needs me pm me please. I am not on here much and byc is not notifing me of pm's either. I do check for pm's a few times a day.

I want to claim an offer but I'm not mailing to cluckitall till Tuesday, after the holiday. Because of my status, do I have to wait till confirmed shipping before I am able to claim again?

Bee, if it's any consolation, I have to wait too!!! I've been swapping forever but with pp rather than eggs, so I have to "clear" my ten egg shipments too --
barnie.gif

For co broodies just be sure the hens don't see each other as a threat. I had a friend who had one broodies kill all the chicks of the other. The aggressor was so aggressive they had to rehome the second bird.

My broodies puff up and yell at each other but a lot prefer to have a friend to raise babies with. My silkies will break off into packs of 2 or 3 when the chicks areclose to the same age. When ione mother quits the rest will take over until the last mother standing has all the chicks.

I have 2 marans co brooding on the porch right now!

Yes, I know... so sad.... but if I could claim current offer then you could claim more of my Wellies and I could send them all to you at the same time!
big_smile.png
Not that I want you to be culling that many eggs out to make room for them all. Having to cull out is no fun. Want them all to hatch.

Me too
smile.png
But realistically, most of the eggs were gathered before I saw the roo finally trying to jump the hen, and even at that I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a bit to figure it all out. So I'm expecting to have to pull a lot of them, but am hoping for at least some fertility on this round! That would be very encouraging :) They only went in Thursday, so I'm trying really hard to be good and not peek!

I've cobrooded hens with eggs before. As long as their eggs are set too hatch at the same time you should be fine. I had a dark Cornish and a buff Minorca brood in separate nest boxes, then coparent the chicks together. They were adorable together and I'll tell you none of the other hens messed with those chicks. Mommas would have tag teamed em.

I would caution to move the hens and secure them unless you are marking their eggs and removing newly laid ones. The hens will get off their eggs after their chicks are a couple of days old and the eggs still in the nest will die. Staggered hatches don't work under Broodies. I like to pick up those cute little two or three hen houses people use in the cities. They make awesome brooder houses and generally have a run to go with them. Little to no work for me that way, and the hens are quite happy to not be bothered or have their eggs get broken while some fat hen tries to squeeze in beside them.

Thanks for your reply. That's a relief. I don't know how I'd be able to make two separate places for them. A small coop is a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find one for a good price.

I think I've solved the extra eggs problem by moving the nesting boxes. Now they're not in places that are so appealing to my other hens. I actually have to remove all the eggs under both hens right now because I don't have any mature roosters with them. I have some fertile eggs I was going to use as replacements. It just broke my heart thinking they were working so hard for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom