Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me like offering the exact same offer over and over several times in a row would kill the swap. There's a limit to how many people would want those eggs, so pretty quick, nobody will take the offer. It would be more polite to wait awhile between claiming offers if all you have to exchange is one breed.

The egg swap chains are pretty delicate to keep going, as it is. I don't think it is an objection to one person claiming lots of eggs. it is more an objection to the rest of the participants seeing nothing but the same offer, over and over.

Also, the rules say to only offer eggs that will be available within two weeks-I don't think it's fair to keep offering the same things and say it will be ...weeks until they are available due to broodiness or other orders. Catch up on your orders and THEN offer your eggs.
hide.gif

In Cali it costs us more to ship, because we are far away from everyone. If you have med/small eggs, you have a few options. Both of these options require a fair bit of wrapping and bubble pack. Or a double box, but if you double box, you need to be able to get boxes from something other then the PO usually. It also requires you to buy your postage online and order boxes from the PO. Not hard, in fact it saves you money and is free.

First weigh your box. If you don't have any way of doing this, just use a regional rate box. I have a scale I used to sue for rescued kittens, you can get accurate scales from a lot of places, but YMMV.

Then go to your favorite shipping site ( stamps.com, or click and ship on the USPS PO site or some other site) and put in the zip code and weight of your box and look at options.

Compare straight shipping with regional rate box a or b ( depending on what you had to use to ship your eggs) If its over 1.2 lbs, USUALLY RRA is cheaper, but once again, YMMV. If it is under, its usually cheaper to send it reg priority mail unless your sending to Florida or New Hampshire , etc. Regional rate a is going to be about 9.79 for us. Reg Priority mail can be as low as 6, and as high as 15 for eggs depending on what you use to pack.

You will find certain places in the country you have to pack like a MADWOMAN to get eggs safely there. There are 2 people I swap with who have NEVER not gotten a broken egg nor have I from them. There is one sorting center between us that is brutal. Don't know what one, but its there.

Once you ship your eggs, you want to check with your partner about how they got there for feedback on how you are packing. It takes a few boxes to get it down, IMO. You want feedback not ONLY on if the eggs arrived cracked. but if the air cells arrived intact. You cant always do anything about that, but you want most of the air cells intact. if you are around a brutal sorting center and have to always double box, shipping will end up costing more. Mostly I find putting the eggs in a carton as a second box or making a "box" out of bubble pack works in California, but once again, YMMV. You wont be able to guarantee the air cells, but if they are continually getting scrambled eggs, you need to back to absorb the shocks and vibration of postage better.

At first you are nervous, then you get it, then its fun :D.

Question please, In the swap is an Olive Egger considered okay to post as an offer or is it considered an EE. (no offense if so, I understand) second can I offer d'Uccles even if they haven't shown yet. (their not ready to be offered yet, just asking). I did pick the right place to post these questions right. I always watch all the swaps and would love to participate, but don't think I would be able to use my Olive Eggers. Help me please be a part of the fun
fl.gif

Michele
Welcome to the swap, Michele!
frow.gif

For each swap, your first offer must be purebred eggs or paypal, after that any eggs can be offered. The eggs do not have to be show quality, but if they are that may make someone claim them faster. So if your d'Uccles are laying, you can make them your first offer and then offer your OEs as an additional option. Until your d'Uccles start laying, you can always make PP your first offer and then offer your OEs, too. PP usually gets claimed within seconds, so don't be discouraged if no one has time to claim your OEs!
lol.png
Pictures of your birds and colored eggs are also helpful. Also, your first offer eggs must be available for shipment within a week or two, but eggs for future shipment can be one of the additional options. (You have probably read the previous posts about the cautions on that - if not, I would suggest you go back a page or two and read about the concerns.) I hope this helps.

If you haven't already, you should read the first post in the thread for all the rules, and refer back to it once in awhile in case rules have changed.

Happy Swapping!

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. I must say, from following the Swap thread, that it is the best run, best organized, and fairest swap Ive seen here on BYC. You guys are doing a terrific job.

Feedback

- Click on someone's username above their avatar, this will bring you to their profile page.
- look under their avatar, and you should see several links. At the bottom is "Trader Feedback" click on this.
- it will bring up an overview of their feedback. Click on "leave feedback" at the bottom
- paste the link of the thread containing the trade in the URL field
- choose something out of the two fields that follow IE: I was the buyer and so-and-so was the seller, etc
- fill in the public (or private or both) fields with whatever you want to say (if anything)
- put a check mark in both of the boxes, verifying that you know the rules and that your feedback is honest, etc.
- click "post feedback" in the bottom right hand corner

(it's worked for me thus far anyway) :)

Last edited:
After our daughter passed away (at 14) I did not handle it well. My husband came home one day with a dozen barnyard bantams and told me it was time for me to care fornsomething. (I had raised "bannies" as a kid. Well, little did he know what he was starting!
To date he has remodeled a small barn into a chicken haven.. All my cages are hung from the ceiling so I have easy access to all my feathered friends. He made sure to build all pens so each breed would have adequate room for a Roo and 5 hens. I have 4 Serama pens, 4 Sebright pens, 6 Silkie pens, 6 breeding pens (where I place specific pairs I want eggs from) 3 OEGB pens, and 4 pens for various ages of chicks, 2 brooders 2 large "houses" on each end for the outside chickens to come into each night and 12 rabbit pens. My outside pens are 50ft x 100ft. He also installed automatic water system so each cage has full time fresh water and timed lights so they all have the appropriate amount of light each day.
Today he finished up 8 "Silkie runs" with small houses on each so they could get more time outside when I'm not home. This wonderful man also constructed a 50ft. X 75ft. Peafowl aviary so I could just go in, set and relax with my peas.
He has worked so hard to make me happy that I just wanted to brag in him. We have been married 27 years and I have loved every one - even the hard ones.

Wayne - you must tell us all what we need to do to break even. I spend more on the chickens than I do us. I go to chicken swaps here is SE Missouri and if I ask more than $2.50 for a chick, they look at me like I have lost my mind. I make much more by selling hatching eggs. My question is what breeds do I need to concentrate on that will sell best? You seem so knowledgeable - I for one appreciate your candor and advice.

Ok so for everyone that thinks their being scammed..I going out to get pictures of everything i have so u dont half to worry..cause i know its been questionable with some people on how all the action that went on , on the online crazy egg chain but i assure u that i do have the breeds and the money to do it with..but i am going out to get most of the pics today but i know its gonna take the whole week but just bare with me..and i promise u have nothing to worry about....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom