Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does take longer, but for the new people, it can be confusing. I don't mind typing it all out. We all have to learn sometime. When I started keeping chickens, all the chicken "lingo" was like Greek to me. I am getting there, but I still ask sometimes, too.
hu.gif

I really could use both, if people are willing, so I (and the other new kids) can learn the lingo quick
highfive.gif
ly!

Paypal paid to the following:
Wrinkler
Wayne
Gamebird

I believe that was it...let me know if I am wrong.
Thank you all
BButterfly

I just want to thank everyone for swapping on this thread. We are almost at 850 posts in less than a month. I had no idea when it started it would be so popular. Think of all the post office employees we are keeping employeed with 100's of egg swaps.

Let's keep swapping!!! If anyone needs help or wants to jump in and needs help just let me know I will be happy to help, I know we have a lot of new people watching. If anyone needs help with shipping, packing or finding the best rates just ask, several here are experts at shipping!!

Ok swap on everyone!!

I just want to thank everyone for swapping on this thread. We are almost at 850 posts in less than a month. I had no idea when it started it would be so popular. Think of all the post office employees we are keeping employeed with 100's of egg swaps.
Let's keep swapping!!! If anyone needs help or wants to jump in and needs help just let me know I will be happy to help, I know we have a lot of new people watching. If anyone needs help with shipping, packing or finding the best rates just ask, several here are experts at shipping!!
Ok swap on everyone!!
Thanks for starting this thread. The pp option allows people like me who has no eggs to swap to participate. Just in case I have eggs to offer in the future, what are the shipping options and the least expensive way to ship 6 eggs? I live in California. Thanks.

Thanks for starting this thread. The pp option allows people like me who has no eggs to swap to participate. Just in case I have eggs to offer in the future, what are the shipping options and the least expensive way to ship 6 eggs? I live in California. Thanks.
The USPS website-it is free to use, and also gives you a discount on shipping. Order free boxes from there too. The Regional rate box A is the perfect size to ship many things and is good for up to 15 pounds. I can ship to anywhere in the East, and West to probably CO for around $6 by using this box and printing postage online. Regional rate boxes are only available online though!

In Cali it costs us more to ship, because we are far away from everyone. If you have med/small eggs, you have a few options. Both of these options require a fair bit of wrapping and bubble pack. Or a double box, but if you double box, you need to be able to get boxes from something other then the PO usually. It also requires you to buy your postage online and order boxes from the PO. Not hard, in fact it saves you money and is free.

First weigh your box. If you don't have any way of doing this, just use a regional rate box. I have a scale I used to sue for rescued kittens, you can get accurate scales from a lot of places, but YMMV.

Then go to your favorite shipping site ( stamps.com, or click and ship on the USPS PO site or some other site) and put in the zip code and weight of your box and look at options.

Compare straight shipping with regional rate box a or b ( depending on what you had to use to ship your eggs) If its over 1.2 lbs, USUALLY RRA is cheaper, but once again, YMMV. If it is under, its usually cheaper to send it reg priority mail unless your sending to Florida or New Hampshire , etc. Regional rate a is going to be about 9.79 for us. Reg Priority mail can be as low as 6, and as high as 15 for eggs depending on what you use to pack.

You will find certain places in the country you have to pack like a MADWOMAN to get eggs safely there. There are 2 people I swap with who have NEVER not gotten a broken egg nor have I from them. There is one sorting center between us that is brutal. Don't know what one, but its there.

Once you ship your eggs, you want to check with your partner about how they got there for feedback on how you are packing. It takes a few boxes to get it down, IMO. You want feedback not ONLY on if the eggs arrived cracked. but if the air cells arrived intact. You cant always do anything about that, but you want most of the air cells intact. if you are around a brutal sorting center and have to always double box, shipping will end up costing more. Mostly I find putting the eggs in a carton as a second box or making a "box" out of bubble pack works in California, but once again, YMMV. You wont be able to guarantee the air cells, but if they are continually getting scrambled eggs, you need to back to absorb the shocks and vibration of postage better.

At first you are nervous, then you get it, then its fun :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom