Hatching eggs that were stored upside-down

OfWolvesAndHen

Songster
Apr 15, 2021
I recently got some eggs from a family member. She's not a breeder, but she has a rooster and a decent fertility rate so I decided to try my luck with incubation. She had these eggs for about 10 days before I was able to pick them up and when I got them, I realized they were stored with the air cells at the bottom! I flipped them as soon as I realized but they were upside-down the whole time before that.

Since the eggs were kind of old I expected a low rate of development. Sure enough, I only have 2 viable eggs. They've been in the incubator for 11 days and they look great so far, but I'm worried about hatch day because of the improper storage. I've also had chicks develop to term and never pip so I'm worried about that too.

Realistically, how concerned should I be? Would the air cells look weird if there was any leakage? And what should I do if they fail to pip?

I wouldn't worry. In old poultry manuals some recommend point down, some point up, and they are all experienced enough to have written and published at least one poultry manual. They'd be sideways in a nest.

I wouldn’t worry or really attribute the poor viability to the wrong storage, may be related to other variables. However, I have incubated a lot of shipped eggs that en up with air cells all over and it can cause the chick to be disoriented in the shell on hatch day. What I do now, is candle once each night to check on position and internal pipping. If I see that they are internally pipped but haven’t externally popped after about 18 hours or so, I make a safety hole in the area where the air cell is so they get some extra help with breathing while they deal with being malpositioned—IF they are, sometimes they do just fine. After I make the safety hole I give them another 12-18 hours and then decide if I’m gonna help them hatch more. If you have to do that, I recommend finding the article on here (I can’t find it at the moment) on assisted hatching, it’s really helpful.

Bottom line, keep a watchful eye during lockdown and assist if needed. Good luck!

I wouldn’t worry or really attribute the poor viability to the wrong storage, may be related to other variables. However, I have incubated a lot of shipped eggs that en up with air cells all over and it can cause the chick to be disoriented in the shell on hatch day. What I do now, is candle once each night to check on position and internal pipping. If I see that they are internally pipped but haven’t externally popped after about 18 hours or so, I make a safety hole in the area where the air cell is so they get some extra help with breathing while they deal with being malpositioned—IF they are, sometimes they do just fine. After I make the safety hole I give them another 12-18 hours and then decide if I’m gonna help them hatch more. If you have to do that, I recommend finding the article on here (I can’t find it at the moment) on assisted hatching, it’s really helpful.

Bottom line, keep a watchful eye during lockdown and assist if needed. Good lI agree the viability is unrelated to the position. They were kept at slightly above room temperature so that could have played a role, but overall I think the age is what did it. I knew they were older so I didn't expect a great hatch, no biggie. I would always rather try my luck with older eggs than shipped eggs; air cell problems aside, I've had enough live animals lost, delayed, or mishandled in post --- all arrived safely in the end but if I can avoid shipping, I will.
I agree the viability is unrelated to the position. They were kept at slightly above room temperature so that could have played a role, but overall I think the age is what did it. I knew they were older so I didn't expect a great hatch, no biggie. I would always rather try my luck with old eggs than shipped eggs. Air cell problems aside, I've had enough live animals lost, delayed, or mishandled in post --- all arrived safely in the end but if I can avoid shipping, I will.

My concern with the position was I've heard it can cause fluid to leak into the air cell and potentially drown the chick at hatch. I read the article about assisting a couple days ago. Hopefully they won't need any of my help!

I agree the viability is unrelated to the position. They were kept at slightly above room temperature so that could have played a role, but overall I think the age is what did it. I knew they were older so I didn't expect a great hatch, no biggie. I would always rather try my luck with old eggs than shipped eggs. Air cell problems aside, I've had enough live animals lost, delayed, or mishandled in post --- all arrived safely in the end but if I can avoid shipping, I will.

My concern with the position was I've heard it can cause fluid to leak into the air cell and potentially drown the chick at hatch. I read the article about assisting a couple days ago. Hopefully they won't need any of my help!
Huh, I’ve not heard that before! I understand your feelings about live things being shipped! I avoid when possible too! I hope you don’t need to assist at all! You will have to post pics of the cuties when they hatch! 😁

Hens don't orient the eggs in any particular way when they sit on them, so I doubt the position would matter for local eggs. Shipped eggs are a whole different story - you want them air cell up just because the shipping stress and shaking may have loosened the connections between the air cell and the egg and caused it to partially detach, so storing fat end up would force it to stay in the correct place (where otherwise it may shift or leak). But local eggs that haven't been shaken a lot should have properly attached air cells that won't shift or leak just from the position of the egg. If you candle them and the air cell still has a round shape and smooth edges, isn't misshapen and isn't shifting position when you tilt the egg, then you're all good as far as the air cell is concerned.

These eggs are local eggs sold from a grocery store. I don't know how old they were, and they were mostly in carton up side down. The plus side, they are popular eggs, so they were not in the store long.
!v.PNG
!va.PNG

All are fertile day 8/9 only one had a mis-lined air cell but it is going strong. (photo is 2 days old.)
!f.PNG

Hens don't orient the eggs in any particular way when they sit on them, so I doubt the position would matter for local eggs. Shipped eggs are a whole different story - you want them air cell up just because the shipping stress and shaking may have loosened the connections between the air cell and the egg and caused it to partially detach, so storing fat end up would force it to stay in the correct place (where otherwise it may shift or leak). But local eggs that haven't been shaken a lot should have properly attached air cells that won't shift or leak just from the position of the egg. If you candle them and the air cell still has a round shape and smooth edges, isn't misshapen and isn't shifting position when you tilt the egg, then you're all good as far as the air cell is concerned.
Okay I was wondering if it would show during candling! Thank you! Both my eggs hatched with no problems whatsoever. Was even lucky enough to record one :)

Back
Top Bottom