hatching eggs while still incubating others?? is this possible?

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
i put chicken eggs in the incubator, these stop being turned tomorrow and should hatch on the 5th, in the mean time on the 28th - 30th i added 4 pea eggs to the incubator, so these have only been in there2-4 days.

has anyone hatched eggs and left eggs incubating and had that work? i thought i may have to compensate for having the humidity so high for 3 days and let it be low for a couple days. put up a barrier between to keep mess to one side...

I did have another incubator i was going to use to hatch (from another friend) but when i cleaned it up and plugged it in it didn't work.

i don't want to loose either, any ideas on if this will work /. making it work?

I would like to know too. I have 1 incubator, but my chickens keep making eggs (more than I can use) that I would want to incubate. I would like to do a dozen per week, and have continuous chicks.

Cabinet incubators have multiple levels of trays and a hatching tray (usually this is the case) just so you can do weekly hatches. I would not attempt this in a desktop incubator. You have no way of modifying the humidity for the hatches eggs and the ones that are still incubating.

If you must, buy a separate styrofoam incubator to use as a hatcher.

well I can't go get another one right now, and what I have is a little giant still air incubator :( I have to do this hatch this way.

candled tonight and two of the peafowl eggs are definitely growing, but its still really early for them. 9 out of 10 chicken eggs are def good, 10th is iffy, gonna give it a chance.

gonna put towels under the chick eggs wet and divide the incubator - prob with card board and a towel? and put paper towels under the pea eggs. and give it a go.

how important is "lock down"? I can slide the lid and turn the pea eggs quick, there's only 4 of them. this shouldn't effect the other eggs to much I'd think.

The chicken eggs are less finicky, only raise the humidity by 10% at best. My last chicken eggs were hatched at 60% humidity with a 40% incubation humidity. With the pea eggs only just having been put in, it should not affect them, as they haven't begun to develop much. A day or two of not turning the eggs won't affect them much either. I stop the turning once a week to set more eggs.

Last edited:
UPDATE: This did work :)
upped humidity to 60 - 70 % - couldn't keep it constant... but 6 of the 9 chicken eggs hatched, then last week - Both peafowl eggs that developed hatched!!! - started with 4 but two were either not fertile or quit really early, no veining or anything at all.

Here are the two chicks, born one day apart. Both are black shoulder, just not sure if either got the purple gene.
ok not working, going to try to upload picts from my phone...

Back
Top Bottom