Hatching Eggs With A Hen

itstartedwith2

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Bancroft NE
So I have been cramming my brain with how to hatch eggs using a hen. Some talk
About gathering the eggs and giving them back to the hen when you have collected all the ones you want her to hatch. Is this really necessary? Or just if you are using a different hen then the actual mom?

So I have been cramming my brain with how to hatch eggs using a hen. Some talk
About gathering the eggs and giving them back to the hen when you have collected all the ones you want her to hatch. Is this really necessary? Or just if you are using a different hen then the actual mom?
I'm not broody experienced but I can tell you what I've gathered so far from reading. First you have to have an actual broody hen. Once you get one, (apparently) you are just thankful you have one so you collect how many you'd like to hatch. You collect them and then give them back to the broody hen so that they are all being incubated from the same start time. If you let a broody hen sit on a staggered hatch, after the first few are hatched the broody will abandon the rest of the eggs to take care of the new chicks. How'd I do broody experts??? Did I get it right?? lol

I am having a hatching emergency with my broody hen. I have an asil which was due 36 hours ago. One chick hatched and was found dead under the hen on day 19.one was found dead at a little distance from the hen...wasnt fluffed up.two hatched on day 21 end. One started pipping but lost steam before it could zip out... the membrane was hard and stuck. There are still a few under her and she is sitting tightly. Considering its about 48 hours over 21 days wonder if I should look forward to any more chicks or if there's a was to help get things moving along?

I'm not broody experienced but I can tell you what I've gathered so far from reading.  First you have to have an actual broody hen. Once you get one, (apparently) you are just thankful you have one so you collect how many you'd like to hatch. You collect them and then give them back to the broody hen so that they are all being incubated from the same start time. If you let a broody hen sit on a staggered hatch, after the first few are hatched the broody will abandon the rest of the eggs to take care of the new chicks.  How'd I do broody experts??? Did I get it right?? lol

You pretty much covered it, AmyLynn!

You do need a hen to go broody before you try putting eggs under her, or you're just wasting your time and eggs. You will know if you have a broody because she will refuse to leave the nest, flatten herself on the nest, and " growl" at you. She will only leave the nest to eat, drink, poop and dust bathe. She'll do this once a day or so for about 15-20 minutes. Some people leave their broodies in with the flock, but I've never had good luck with this. I separate mine until the chicks have hatched and are about a week old. It works well to integrate them into the flock while they're still young and the mama is protective. Once I give a broody her eggs, I don't mess with her. I don't candle eggs, I don't check them, I don't fuss with the hen.

You pretty much covered it, AmyLynn!

You do need a hen to go broody before you try putting eggs under her, or you're just wasting your time and eggs. You will know if you have a broody because she will refuse to leave the nest, flatten herself on the nest, and " growl" at you. She will only leave the nest to eat, drink, poop and dust bathe. She'll do this once a day or so for about 15-20 minutes. Some people leave their broodies in with the flock, but I've never had good luck with this. I separate mine until the chicks have hatched and are about a week old. It works well to integrate them into the flock while they're still young and the mama is protective. Once I give a broody her eggs, I don't mess with her. I don't candle eggs, I don't check them, I don't fuss with the hen.
thumbsup.gif
lol

I read to move her and the eggs at night? Is that the best time? I have a separate coop for just her that has an attached run so once I find the right broody hen I'm all set up for her

I am having a hatching emergency with my broody hen. I have an asil which was due 36 hours ago. One chick hatched and was found dead under the hen on day 19.one was found dead at a little distance from the hen...wasnt fluffed up.two hatched on day 21 end. One started pipping but lost steam before it could zip out... the membrane was hard and stuck. There are still a few under her and she is sitting tightly. Considering its about 48 hours over 21 days wonder if I should look forward to any more chicks or if there's a was to help get things moving along?

Oh I'm so sorry!! I'm
Just getting ready to start my own hatching so I'm no help but I hope the rest hatch out well

Back
Top Bottom