Hatching Eggs With Altitude Change

TheCakeIsAWolf

Chirping
Oct 11, 2017
Northern Virginia
I'm trying to get ahold of peacock hatching eggs, but I know they fare poorly in shipping so I'm looking to pick them up from a state that borders mine, which would be a pretty long drive. A family member of mine is a private plane pilot and would be willing to bus me out to pick up the eggs since the plane has to be "exercised" each month anyway.

My only concern would be that the rapid air pressure change with altitude since his plane's cabin is not pressurised. I know that freight planes (which hatching eggs survive on) are usually pressurised at 8,000' asl. Does anyone with freight experience know what kind of pressure change would cause an egg to crack, if any? Could it harm the dormant embryos?

I saw this post and thought it was about producing at one elevation and incubating at another which I could have offered insight for.
Since it was about elevation during transport, I couldn't offer any specific advice. However, since hatching eggs are shipped in high numbers in unpressurized compartments at likely higher elevation than the OP will be traveling, I wouldn't worry about it. I really doubt the pressure change would cause cracking. Just packing the eggs to prevent shock should do the trick.

@ChickenCanoe Thanks that actually puts my mind at ease. I was starting to worry since peafowl hatching eggs tend to be pretty expensive ($20+/ea). We're gonna do an experiment next time we fly and stress test some chicken eggs and see the effects of bringing them up to altitude (maybe even up to 13,000-15,000 ft).

Back
Top Bottom