Hatching Eggs With Loose Air Cells?

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hello all.

I recently bought some fertile eggs from a lady in Georgia and guess what 2 of them ended up with: loose air cells!

I was just wondering, can I hatch these? If so, what are the chances of them hatching? I'm going to try it. I'm not expecting a lot of chicks, I just want to try it because it's either that, or throw the eggs away. There's only 3 in the bator and 2 of them have loose air cells.

Thanks!

Hello all.

I recently bought some fertile eggs from a lady in Georgia and guess what 2 of them ended up with: loose air cells!

I was just wondering, can I hatch these? If so, what are the chances of them hatching? I'm going to try it. I'm not expecting a lot of chicks, I just want to try it because it's either that, or throw the eggs away. There's only 3 in the bator and 2 of them have loose air cells.

Thanks!

Don't turn them the first week and have them sitting large end up in a carton, good luck!

Don't candle until day 7, don't touch them, don't giggle them, just leave them alone. That way the air cell can heal: as the chick develops inside, there is a membrane that inflates like a balloon inside the egg, pushing the air cell in place and stabilising it. If you constantly take the eggs out to candle them, no matter how carefully or gently you do it, you will still risk displacing the healing air cells and thus compromising the baby chicks inside:( You can candle on day 7. They should be strong enough by then.

Back
Top Bottom