Hatching eggs with paper thin shells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by racuda, Jun 28, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have acquired some eggs that the shells are so thin that I accidentally crushed one trying to pick it up out of the carton. My incubation method of choice is a broody hen, but I'm afraid she may crush these eggs. That leaves the Genesis 1588. Am I correct that I must run higher than normal humidity because of the moisture loss through the extra thin shells? How high?

2. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    i dont know the answer to your question i was just thinking , if the shells are that fine think of the view you will have while candling so cool

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They likely won't develop long if the eggs are very thin shelled. It means the diet wasn't where it needs to be (affecting viability of the eggs) or the hen has some other issue going on that could also affect the viability of the eggs developing well. You can still try it in the incubator, but a big broody foot or an accidental peck during rolling them... would likely break them.

If the eggs are just naturally that thinly shelled, you wouldn't want the trait to continue in the daughters of that hen. I don't know if that's even possible, but either way, I honestly don't think you'll get a great hatch from them. But trying won't hurt, then you'd know what to expect from thin shells.

4. ChickieWoo

ChickieWoo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Michigan
    I know I just tried to hatch a thin shelled egg and it didn't make it. It kept on getting hairline cracks until finally I candled it and it had died. Sorry to say

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Is there a reason that they are so thin? The particular breed? Most breeds they suggest that you throw out the funny eggs and not hatch them because of genetics problems and disease. Of course who hasn't went ahead with setting the double yolk [​IMG] I'm not sure that higher humidity would help a lot. It would seem like the lost moisture would collapse the egg if the shell is that thin but too much moisture wouldn't be good for the developing chicks. I am definately with florasbell that it would be amazing to candle though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by