hatching eggs without turning?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Mar 9, 2012.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    is it possible to hatch eggs without turning?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I read on here a while back about someone hatching chickens without turning the eggs they had some success- but turning is an important part of the incubation process and not turning can cause deformities. Not worth the risk- you want the eggs to have the best chance of hatching healthy dont you?

3. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    yes but can you hatch eggs vertically? how slanted?

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Chicken eggs here hatch set in egg cartons (pulp style that have been trimmed) at lockdown. They are in auto turners before that.

Duck eggs are auto turned until lockdown then set on their sides, or at. 45* angle if locking down a large number of eggs.

Geese are laid on their sides and auto turned, AND hand turned 180 once a day until lock down. Then laid on their sides to hatch.

5. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    I incubate egg at their sides and turning them 180 degrees every turn im just wonder if its possible to be vertical
    and what does lockdown mean sori im only 14 years old

6. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs 3 days prior to hatch, so that the babies can adjust their position to hatch

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I'm sure you could hatch eggs without turning, but you probably wouldn't get a good hatch rate. I would say 20% if you got lucky... And yes, this would probably increase the risk of deformities. The reason for turning them is, that if you don't, the chick will develop at the bottom of the eggs, which could definitely cause problems for the chick. I would say that if you were planning to hatch eggs, then you will probably have much more luck if you turned them. It may take some time to turn them a certain amount of times a day, but it's worth it when you get those little fluff balls. :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs three days before their hatch date.

9. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    can you still open the incubator and candle the eggs at lock down?

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    No, lockdown is when you stop touching the eggs. Leave the temp the same and raise the humidity. You open the bator again until ALL birds have hatched. There are other methods, but at 14 and new to hatching simple is better for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by