hatching eggs without turning?

Many of us violate some of the guidelines and still have good hatches. Which ones we violate and by how much plays into the odds of what kind of success we have. The guidlelines do not guarantee success if you follow them exactly nor do they guarantee failure if you don't follow them esactly. The guidelines are mainly about improving your odds for success.

I try to follow the guidelines I am aware of the best I reasonable can without overstressing about them. I don't always get it perfect. I'm sure I'm not following all the guidelines because there are probably some I'm not even aware of. Some are not in my control, like the nutrition and health of the parents when I get hatching eggs from someone else.

Many of the bad things that can happen don't happen each and every time. And even a blind hog can pick up an acorn every now and then.

Your original question was "Is it possible to hatch eggs without turning?" Many things are possible, but that does not mean that is what you should do.

If you are trying to hatch under a broody, no, you do not have to turn them. The broody will take care of that.

If you are hatching in an incubator, you should turn them. It's possible you will be OK not turning them, but you should turn them. You have a better chance of a good hatch.

I have not turned any eggs in at least two years. 100s of Chicken, ducks, and quails hatch with 90% hatch rates.

I get extremely high hatch rates and can fit more in the incubator.

I have hatched several hundred eggs without adding any water at all to the incubator over the entire hatch. I live in a high humidity area.

Think about all the animals out there that come from eggs that don't get turned, why are chicken different? Snakes, Lizards, Turtles, frogs, spiders, ants, etc... these eggs don't get turned.
I don't think God designed the chicken egg to have special requirements and my incubation results support this.

I have also marked eggs under a chicken and most of the eggs don't move at all. None moved in a full rotation daily. The ones that did move are mainly due to chickens getting on and off the clutch.

Currently hatching Geese, ducks, quail, and chickens.

Duck and Geese eggs at the bottom of a clutch don't get turned by the mother at all.

Not really sure who came up with turning eggs but it has increased costs significantly. I have working chicken and quail egg turners and refuse to use them anymore.

Not trying to get anyone worked up but if you haven't tried that you haven't tried it. I have done it both ways and haven't seen a difference. Over 90% hatch rates continuously.

I also belief that my rates are high because I don't do anything once the eggs are placed. My incubator is accurate to the hundredths of a degree.

Thanks

but why do some videos in you tube show people videoing the chick hatch
People do all sorts of stuff on Youtube they shouldn't. Just because it is on the internet, doesn't make it true, best practice or right. Always check your sources and verify with a 2nd source.
If you wanted to do an experiment for a school project you could try hatching 40 eggs and only turn 1/2 of them. Document your results and have a hypothesis. Just be prepared for the possibility of deformed babies. If doing a school project, I would go with Quail since they are smaller, hatch faster and there is a ready market for the meat at restaurants.
If your hatching ducks for pets, I would think you would want them to have the best possible chances for a healthy life.
I can attest to how difficult it is not to interfere with hatching. When my first duckling pipped it was 4 more days until she was fully out of her shell. Then another 12 hours to dry off. I can't tell you how difficult it is not to open the incubator in the final 3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom