hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clavesd, Mar 9, 2011.

1. clavesd

clavesd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    I have a hen that has been sitting on eggs for about 3 weeks. I don't know how many eggs or if they or even fertilized. I few weeks ago we noticed her sitting and was very protective. I have tried to get her off the nest, but she pecks with agression. A couple of days ago I noticed that she had kicked out a broken egg. The egg was shell had some wetness and I noticed some little black feathers stuck to the inner parts of the shell. I don't know if something has hatched. She still will not let anyone near her. I don't know if it is time for me to get her off or leave her for a while. I don't know what she is sitting on; rotten eggs, dead chicks that have hatched or even something alive.

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Be brave and check under her. It only hurts a little to be pecked.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Lift her up and check, she knows when to get up if chicks have hatched out.

4. clavesd

Mar 9, 2011
    I will check tomm. This is the first time I left one sit. Do they usually kick out the shell once they hatch?

5. clavesd

Mar 9, 2011
    I got her to lift off enough so that I could see underneath her. There is about 10 eggs. That are pretty clean. I am pretty sure that they are not all fertilized. I only have one rooster and ten hens. I thought about trying to move her to a secluded area by herself. Should I try candeling the eggs before putting them in her new establishment. This is new to me. I am open to suggestions.

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I moved mine once and she kept going back to where the first nest was so I had to put her back until the chicks are hatched. I made a nest on the ground for her and she brought them in there for the nights. I would candle them and look for a air sac.

7. clavesd

Mar 9, 2011
    I guess no need to move my eggs, 4 of them hatched this evening. Does any body know how long I should wait before removing them from underneath momma hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by