Hatching Fertile Gift Eggs

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
Hello! A friend referred me here to learn about chickens. I bought a small ranch a few years ago with plans for some livestock in the future, and chickens, too.

Yesterday I cleaned out a shed and was thinking about how easy it would be to convert to a chicken coop. All I would need to do is add an outdoor run and figure out what chickens eat. The spots for the nests are already there. I have chicken feeders and waterers that I bought at a yard sale last fall for my future flock, and an incubator, too.

This morning I was getting into my van when a man walked up to me and asked if I'd like some fresh chicken eggs. I said yes, and when I offered to pay for them, he said they're free. Nice. But several years ago I bought eggs from someone with chickens, and three of that dozen had a developing chick inside. There's nothing quite like that landing in your skillet to make a person think twice about omelets for a while. Anyway, I candled these. One brown egg is about 1/3 full, and another brown one and two green ones look like there may be something developing. I set up the incubator, and it's holding steady at around 99 degrees and 47% humidity. I know the chances are against them hatching, but it's fun to try.

If these eggs hatch, I have no idea what to do. Panic sounds likely. Probable. So I'm here to learn about chickens, and if they don't hatch, get chickens in the spring. This probably isn't a good time of year for chicks, but I live in the desert in Arizona, so it's not as cold here as it is in some places.

FWIW, about 10 years ago someone gave me two gecko eggs that were in a store and nobody thought they'd hatch. One did, and she's still with me today, so you never know. The man said he has different types of chickens in his flock. Here is a picture. The two top green ones, the one on the bottom left, and the second from the bottom on the right are being incubated. The bottom left one is the one that's 1/3 full. Edited to add: One of the green eggs has white spots. I've never seen that before. Any idea what breed of chicken that might be?

Oh, and hello everybody. This is my first post.

Attachments

• 20200912_114559.jpg
    20200912_114559.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
:welcome I'm fairly new to chicken keeping, so I wouldn't be able to tell what breed a green speckled egg would be. Perhaps an Easter, Olive or Moss Egger? Have fun hatching!

There's no telling what breed it came from, but even though you're new to chicken keeping, you're ahead of me in knowledge. I can recognize a chicken when I see it. That's about it. But they're interesting looking birds, and I'm hoping for some in the spring if these don't hatch. Chances are they won't hatch, but the fun is in the trying and learning.

Edited to add: One of the green eggs has white spots. I've never seen that before. Any idea what breed of chicken that might be?

White spots or brown spots just happen sometimes. No particular breed is known for laying eggs like the one you have--spots usually get ignored when talking about what color eggs are laid by what breed of chicken.

There's no telling what breed it came from, but even though you're new to chicken keeping, you're ahead of me in knowledge. I can recognize a chicken when I see it. That's about it. But they're interesting looking birds, and I'm hoping for some in the spring if these don't hatch. Chances are they won't hatch, but the fun is in the trying and learning.

Well, I really hope you get some interesting birds hatching! Having a coloured egg layer would be amazing - good luck! :)

I've been keeping the rest of the eggs he gave me on a counter and not in the fridge, because I wanted to see if more of them might show signs of life later on. If they were just laid when they were candled, nothing would show up yet. A large brown egg and a medium brown one both showed a reddish spot in one one area of the shell, and now they're in the incubator, too.

I stopped off and got baby chick feed and an electrolyte water additive that is supposed to be beneficial to newly hatched chicks today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom