Hatching for pullets!

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
I have had TERRIBLE luck with hatching cockerels lately. I would say I have about an 80% cockerel to pullet ratio. At best. t's getting ridiculous. I do eventually sell my cockerels/roos, but first I have to grow them up to almost adult size and then sell them for someone's dinner. I feel bad because I send nice chix off to their death and I know I lose money. I get $10 per adult roo, and I know it costs me more than that to feed them for 6+ months.

Soooo, I have read in many posts that setting eggs at slightly cooler temps (and storing at cooler temps before setting) results in more pullets and fewer cockerels.

Anyone want to share their anecdotes to prove or disprove that theory? I am a bit desperate, with tons of little cockerel gangs running wild in my chicken yard at the moment. I love roosters, but really? Argh!

Your lucky you can sell your extra roosters, around here you are lucky to give the buggars away!

That said, there is no way to ensure you get a pullet by either egg shape or incubating temperature. Your hen is who is determining the sex of the chick and if a hen is throwing more roos than pullets replace her..
I had a couple Amerucana's (ee's) when I first started hatching, out of 27 eggs set I got two pullets!! All that summer I hatched nearly every egg they laid and most were roos.. someone told me to switch out my hens and wouldnt ya know it.. two new EE hens gave me 60% pullets.

Your lucky you can sell your extra roosters, around here you are lucky to give the buggars away!

That said, there is no way to ensure you get a pullet by either egg shape or incubating temperature. Your hen is who is determining the sex of the chick and if a hen is throwing more roos than pullets replace her..
I had a couple Amerucana's (ee's) when I first started hatching, out of 27 eggs set I got two pullets!! All that summer I hatched nearly every egg they laid and most were roos.. someone told me to switch out my hens and wouldnt ya know it.. two new EE hens gave me 60% pullets.

Back
Top Bottom