A surprise clutch of 5 eggs I found last week
smile.png

80310_shipeggs1_4-11.jpg

Just candled today and all showing early signs of fertility
celebrate.gif

80310_tortfertile1.jpg

Now the Question
hmm.png

I wonder who can guess who Mom might be????????????????????

Pete
wink.png

My goslings are getting big and I really want to get them out of the house. Its getting harder to keep up with cleaning up after them. My goose is sitting on 5 eggs right now. Would it be safe to take her eggs for the incubator and place the goslings with her? Would she take the goslings now and the ones that hatch later?

Alas-What stage are the eggs at that she's incubating? If they're over 2 weeks then all should be well but watch for temperature spikes - 37.2C is the target. Replace the eggs with dummys or infertiles. How old are the goslings? My bet is to put them next to her in a pen and watch her reaction. Also gives them a chance to meet each other. If all appears well then introduce with minimum fuss and observe discreetly to give them the chance to bond. Once you feel they're bonding then take away ALL the dummy eggs.

Pete
wink.png

Thanks Pete.
She came out once when I had the goslings in the yard. She hissed at me and tried to get through the fence to get to the babes. The male watches the goslings the whole time I'm in the yard with them. Is he guarding or will he hurt them? The eggs she's sitting on have about a week left before hatching. Even replacing the eggs with goslings I should keep eggs in the nest? Thanks for all your help
smile.png
This is the first time I've dealt with laying geese.

No Problem
smile.png

Once you feel confident that shes taken to the babies you need to remove all the eggs. She then has no distraction her sole focus being her new family. Im sure the Gander will be fine as they make good parents
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Not good news, it didn't make it to the evening, I checked and he still hadn't managed to pull his head up, air cell was an ok size too, don't think I could have done anything even if I'd have opened up the egg could I?

I've also got 2 eggs (batch 5 and 6 dewlaps) with air cells on the side, batch 5 has got 8 eggs due next Wednesday and batch 6 9 eggs due in 9 days so I'll be keeping busy, I guess we may need to help the hatch with the air cells on the side?

Sprout is doing ok, she quite chirpy, laid an egg and is still broody so it's very useful as it will keep her occupied while she is recovering plus she's now sitting on 2 indian runner eggs, 1 turkey egg and 1 dewlap egg, she did have 2 but I think I was being greedy as she's shoved it out, I just hope I can keep her infection free as she is missing skin from under her wing right down her left breast.

So I brought my goslings out to meet my 2 adult geese. The gander ran away from them! The goose sat on her nest and ignored them. Looks like I'm going to have to buy something bigger to put them in until the other eggs hatch and I can sneak them in.

We started Day 29 at around 3 am this morning.

Havent seen anything very well but I candled a bit ago due to early hatching duck eggs and one of my African Goose eggs has a pip in the outer shell. I candled being careful not to turn the egg (altho crazy duck prolly rolled the egg all over) and saw the shadowing of them getting ready for internal pipping, then felt a bump in the shell, looked at it and sure enuff a pip!

No break in the membrane, just the outer shell so I broke a tiny lil hole in the air cell portion of the egg, and threw him back in the bator and upped humidity.

Here is hoping! I had two WH hatch and two more are shadowing the air cell as well but no external pips yet.

Back
Top Bottom