Hatching goose eggs! did every possible thing wrong. I have and internal pip. So now what?

Jun 2, 2023
Ontario,Canada
The title sums it up nicely.
I inherited 2 geese. Gertrude started laying eggs. I asked the old owner. She said incubate them. Thats it.
So i went on Amazon grabbed an incubator and started tossing eggs in. Every other day another egg. Marked none. Dated nothing. Went by the manufacturers booklet. Then googled and found you guys.
I read the articles and I adjusted as I learned. But that was 15 days in. I've been at 75% 99 degrees. (The book said cook em at 100&80% that's it all the way through no Celsius so idk) Humidity was all over the place for the 15 ish days. I tossed in a couple stand alone hydrometers and the incubator display is way way off. So now i ignore it and know the actual conditions in there.

I knew at least 2 were 26 days in.I timed lockdown by looking at my incubator delivery date. But the rest were a guess. I have 4 total rolling a bit. I sat on my hands and obeyed lockdown but it has been 5 days and everything I read indicated they probably didn't make it through the torture (one is even cracked and waxed together) so I searched all night (ive decided to keep my searches in here. Its all over the place in google land) and saw it was safe (ish) as long as no external pip. So I candled carefully and one has an internal pip. But I don't hear peeps or tapping and the moving is easy to miss it's so little.
That was at 9 my time. It's 2 am now. So I'm writing this because I'm clearly never sleeping again lol.

Do I make a hole? Or sit on my hands again? I have no idea when it pipped, just when I saw it. He's moving in there. But barely from out here.
Thanks. Even if this is an impossible to answer, waaay too long post. This place has been a fantastic crash course. I really appreciate the care folks take writing all these articles and the time and experience you share with people trying to figure everything out. 💜

Lessons learned
1) relax
2) stop panicking
3) chill out
Thanks so much for everything ❤️ 20230607_145846.jpg

Goslings certainly do take their sweet time hatching. 🙂 Have you already read Pyxis's Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry? In the section titled "A Safety Hole", there are instructions for when and how to make a safety hole in the air cell to help ensure that the gosling doesn't run out of air while trying to externally pip. Note that it says "a safety hole should be made if the chick has been internally pipped for 18 to 24 hours with no progress" (you mentioned that you're not sure when the gosling internally pipped, so you'll have to make a "best guess").

I hatch goslings each season, and wouldn't hesitate to make a safety hole if I had concerns that a gosling was taking an unusual amount of time to externally pip. Be sure to read the instructions carefully before attempting, if you do decide to proceed with a safety hole.

Best of luck with your hatch! And don't forget to visit the Geese forum - lots of helpful geese folks there, too.

I'm not experienced with ducks, but I'm pretty sure it's similar enough to other eggs. I think you should leave it, most eggs can take about 12 - 36 hours to pip after pipping internally.

It's completely normal,
time for bed 🛏️

Back
Top Bottom