Hatching Grocery store eggs attempt

Pics
So no development :( But we’re going to the store this week so Ima just try one more time, I don’t wanna give up.
I've started candling almost all the Free Range eggs which come thru our kitchen from area farms. So far no sign of fertilization. Odds aren't great with the Wash requirement...I plan on getting eggs from a farm with a known breed of hen and Roo. But watching the thread w /interest.

I just moved to Oklahoma and made poke salat multiple times this last spring! I’d love to learn anything about the plant. Thanks for sharing!
I use Poke leaves in Spring just like Spinach - but harvest ONLY when young and 8 inches or less tall, or it begins to be toxic. Our livers can take only so much. I keep a plant or 2 for fall color and Spring greens. glad to hear Chickens can survive if they have access t the berries. I'll try to minimize their exposure to the larger plant anyway.

I use Poke leaves in Spring just like Spinach - but harvest ONLY when young and 8 inches or less tall, or it begins to be toxic. Our livers can take only so much. I keep a plant or 2 for fall color and Spring greens. glad to hear Chickens can survive if they have access t the berries. I'll try to minimize their exposure to the larger plant anyway.
I eat the leaves at any stage. When you see red coming up the stalk that is the toxin (good for constipation). When the red becomes present boil in a couple of changes of water and that will remove toxin! A great source for alot of edibles is "Foraging Texas" Even though it's outta Houston It covers plants that are found wide and far including Poke weed! The giant Asparagus like sprouts are the best IMHO.

I made one out of a cooler. Works great.
I want to make one from a cooler to use alongside one I bought off E Bay for about 50 bucks. The experience of hand-monitoring and turning will be an adventure I think...but I don't think I'll do a computer fan...will attempt some natural circulation with vents. They both may get set into a large cooler or cardboard box for a bit of a controlled environment.

If anyone has hatched any chicks from regular grocery stores like Walmart, it must have been a fluke. Most producers of eggs do not put males in with their layers.

Sexing errors happen.

If the layers are in cages, an oops male would only have access to the hens in his own cage, so 2 or 3.
But in a cage-free system, even a single male could fertilize a lot of eggs.

If sexing accuracy is 90%, that would make 10 males in every 100 birds, which is right about the recommended rate to get fertile eggs from all the hens. They probably check partway through the raising period and remove any obvious ones, but a few might get missed anyway.

I've started candling almost all the Free Range eggs which come thru our kitchen from area farms. So far no sign of fertilization.

Fertile eggs and infertile ones look identical when you candle them.

If you incubate them for a week or so, then you can tell them apart because the fertile ones have a noticeable amount of growth. (But by then you may not want to eat the infertile ones.)

It's possible to crack the egg open and look at the yolk to see if it's fertile (they all have a white spot, but it is said to look like a bullseye if fertile, not if i's not.) But then of course you cannot incubate that particular egg.

It's a frustrating dilemma--there is no way to sort fertile from infertile that lets you incubate the fertile ones and also eat the infertile ones.

Back
Top Bottom