Hatching Guinea eggs

misseclem

Hatching
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Hello,

I recently tried to hatch eggs laid by our guineas in an incubator and was unsuccessful. I watched the temperature carefully and kept the water filled. The majority of them formed, but when I checked the eggs it seemed like they were too hard for them to break through. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I never had much luck hatching them out in the incubator ... Takes 28 days for them... I usually hold the egg up to my ear on the 27th and 28th day and listen for sounds. If not hatching I have even chipped a small hole in large end and looked down inside to see if it pipped the membrane. I have helped some out that way and chicks and ducklings as well. The membrane could be dry and tough for them and a little help can make all the difference.

so what day do they go on lock down?? i got some eggs on day 22 and should i try to help them or let them do it ?

Nava, If you are talking day 22 for chicks then you should hear some rustling or chirps by now. I sometimes dampen the egg with my wet hands and keep a wet sponge in the incubator last few days as well as the water in bottom of incubator.
I figure that if they are not pipping but are chirping in shell and it is late for hatch date I do assist by chipping a small hole in large end and usually you can then see their little beak where they poked thru the membrane. At least this way they do have more oxygen and can continue hatching. If the membrane is tough I dampen it with wet fingers..... Many a chick I have lost by waiting too long. Some say let nature take it's course but incubators are an artificial means of hatching not as good as the real thing of having broody hen doing the job! good luck!

I have had good luck with hatching guineas, I just keep the humidity high, they get through those hard shells, unbelieveable, but they do! Just like those hard duck and turkey eggs!!!

smile.png
Thanks to everyone who replied. Happy Memorial Day!

Nava, I've never had to help them hatch. Have you moved them to the hatcher yet? I'd do it now since you can't exactly raise the himidity because of the other eggs. I don't raise the humidity no higher than 70% and never had problems with them hatching. Every egg I put in has hatched. Good luck and if you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom