Hatching has started BUT...what about the big daily poop?

vwoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Spotsylvania, Virginia
My broody has hatched out 2 of 8 so far. Must have started hatching during the night last night. My question is...I have been letting her out of the crate daily for the BIG poop and quick run around, she eats and drinks a little then goes back on the nest. So now since they've started hatching will she stay on the nest till complete. Do I need to move her off for a few minutes for the BIG daily poop or can she go 24 or more hrs with out pooping? She has water and chick food in the crate with her. But where will she do the BIG poop!?

I would leave her alone most good hens will set tight till the hatch is done. My best hens will not move till day 22. Then there ready to take there walk with new chicks in tow.

Yeah, I was doing the same with my broody, she would run around for about 20 minutes each morning, til the day an egg hatched. After that, even if I lifted her off the eggs, she just went right back. So I hand fed her a couple of times, then got the dead eggs out and gave her three store bought chicks. With that, she started raising all 4. Good mama! She did do one broody poop right in front of the nest box, after she wouldn't get off any more. (I had food and water in the cage but don't think she used them.)

Then I turned my back and the dogs did the eggtopsies for me....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom