Hatching Headaches and Hot Weather

RcoM

Songster
Dec 15, 2023
I have 12 purchased eggs under a good size broody, healthy Sussex. She has her own cage and run and it’s in a shady spot most of the day.
Australia has had some very hot weather here; up to 39 or 40 degrees.celcius.

Looks like my spoiled hand-fed hen and eggs survived.
They are hatching 2 days early- judging by this one. Due on 13th.
I was expecting this to occur due to hot weather. It’s mostly been pretty humid. Currently about 68% humidity outside at night. This is a photo of the first egg. Mum rushed off for a little food and water at 5pm.Egg is cheeping and she’s encouraging it by clucking but it hasn’t split the membrane. The membrane looks tough and I think it’s a side effect of the heat we have had? Was 30 degrees today. It’s now dark at 8pm so was planning on waiting til early morning to check progression. Tomorrow is 35 degrees Celsius.
Should I increase humidity in cage a little?
I’ve taken out food for a bit as last time was her first clutch and she previously left the nest after 2 Hamburgs hatched. All of the Australorp chicks died in the egg fully formed. I think she needed to sit a bit longer.
Thoughts on membrane and assisting humidity levels for tomorrow?
Photo of the egg that has started to hatch- when she got off to gobble food and poo.

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 43
eggs under a good size broody, healthy Sussex.
It’s mostly been pretty humid. Currently about 68% humidity outside at night.
Should I increase humidity in cage a little?

No, do not do anything to change the humidity. The hen and her body will take care of the matter. Chicks under a hen will usually hatch successfully even in dry climates-- which yours is definitely not.

Guidelines for humidity at hatching are meant for incubators, which are trying to mimic what would happen under a broody hen. You can ignore them when dealing with a broody hen, just like you can ignore guidelines about what temperature an incubator is supposed to be.

Ok. Thanks for that. I am worried as the membrane looks white and thick/tough and only the shell is being chipped it seems. I’m off to work. Praying it goes well.

To me that does not look like a chick hatching. The first pip should be a relatively small hole where the shell is puffed or gone and with a small air hole in the membrane for it to breathe through. When it zips it should be in a line around the egg so the chicks can push the shell apart and come out. That looks more like something hit the egg and broke that part of the shell. Maybe the hen stood on the egg and broke it when she was getting on or off the nest. It's hard to not be there to look at it but that looks like a good photo.

I'd leave it alone. Maybe use a Q-tip to put some oil on the membrane so it doesn't dry out. Some people recommend coconut oil but I'd be OK with mineral oil or vegetable oil.

Good luck!

Good news, everyone! That was a pip- you can see the little triangular shape where it started. And yes it is not in the usual position for a chick to hatch. However, by morning it had indeed hatched and I have a healthy fluffy little chick, who did it all on their own, their own way. I did not intervene because I decided that it had not been long enough anyway, it was just interesting to see the thicker membrane due to the humidity that we have had. The first hatch was also early as I had thought may occur due to the high ambient temperatures, which fluctuated can cause Chicks to develop a little more quickly and hatch a little early.

Here is the little chick number one – approximately two days early

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 5
5 now and I believe that’s it. She left the nest with chicks and is out this afternoon teaching them to eat and forage in the cage. The remaining eggs are cold. None have visible pips. None are moving or cheeping or even slightly warm. It’s been almost 48 hours since first pip.
Should I remove the rest?

The remaining eggs are cold. None have visible pips. None are moving or cheeping or even slightly warm. It’s been almost 48 hours since first pip.
Should I remove the rest?
Yes, I would remove the rest.

If you are curious, you can crack each one open and see what is inside. You can even candle them first, then crack them open to look: a good way to get some practice at recognizing what you are seeing when candling.

If you want to crack them open, I suggest doing it outdoors, because some of them may smell.

Thanks. I did that. We decided that it was possible that 3 more had chicks inside. Candling was hard- couldn’t see much so I was guessing.
I cracked open only those as the others were runny when shaken,
I was correct. 3 fully formed soft wet but not moving chicks. Yolks not absorbed completely. I felt a little sad. I guess she left to feed the 5 she hatched and can’t wait forever. I wonder why those didn’t hatch and if they would have, if she waited? No abnormalities noted. Correct positioning I think.head under wing

Back
Top Bottom