Hatching in an egg carton questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom2chicksandpups, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I assume the eggs aren't moved to the carton until day 18, right? Does it need to be cardboard or does it matter if it's a styrofoam carton?

If you have used this method, did you have a good hatch? Better or worse than without it?

I thought of doing this, but was worried the carton under the eggs might cut off some of the humidity that they need or something. I just thought advice from others might help.

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]I hatch in an egg carton. I use the egg carton for the entire thing.

I have a flat carton that holds 30 eggs, it doesn't go up very high but I cut the bottons out for extra air.

It has eggs in it right now. But tomorrow I will clean it out and take some pictures to show you what I mean.

I just put a block under one side of the incubator, and switch sides 3 times a day.

It works the same as an auto-turner. You don't have to open the incubator, and it's cleaner and quicker.

I think you get the same hatch rates as the normal way. At least I have. Plus as the end it keeps the chicks from rolling the other eggs around which can mess up their pipping position and kill them.

I vote yes, on the carton method for the entire time.

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Sounds like a perfect solution to the trampling situation. I always get so nervous that their going to get trapped in the egg due to disorientation...

Thanks!

Anybody else have other experiences...

4. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I've done it both ways. I prefer the carton & dry incubation method. I use the carton for the entire hatch. There is also less mess this way in my opinion, easier cleanup.

5. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:What is the dry incubation method?

6. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I was wanting to try the dry incubation this time as well.

Basicly I believe you put the eggs in and forget about them for a week. Then candle and if humidity is below 25% you add a little water. Ignore them again for a week. Do the same thing. The on the last 18 you go up to 65%.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never done it before. But I think I'm going to use that way this time and see if it works. [​IMG]

7. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: