Hatching in an egg carton ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PTFarmer, Mar 7, 2008.

1. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Disputanta, Va.
    I noticed in alot of your pic's, the hatching eggs are in cartons. Is there some benifits to hatching this way ? Paper towels on top of the wire rack ? Is this also benificial ? I will be removing 43 eggs from the auto turner and want to use the best methods for the last three days and hatching.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Brian

PS This is a great site and congrat's to all of you with successful hatches !

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yes. The benefit is a clean and not so stinky bator. lol.

3. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I'm going to use that method on my next hatch. The reason I am is because it is also to keep the chicks from rolling the unhatched eggs around and maybe get a better hatch rate. [​IMG]
    Sylvia

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    There's a big 'ol thread about this somewhere on here...I'll dig up a link if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I'm incubating and hatching in cartons this time. I'll have to post pics & let everyone know how it goes....I'm using the cartons as a semi-automatic turner. [​IMG] Propping up one side, then the other when I need to turn. We'll see what happens!! So far it's nice and neat and orderly. Beats turning each individual egg by hand--I've got 48 eggs cooking right now!

5. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    Ooooo!! I have never heard of this method, please, please! More info! Sounds interesting and I am always interested in making life easier in the bator! THANKS Peeps!
    -Theresa [​IMG]

6. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Mine are in the process of hatching in an egg carton. I put them in the egg carton on day 18 and increased humidity.

Thanks again "Crunchie" for the eggs!!

7. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Disputanta, Va.
    Crunchie,
    I've heard references to that post in other threads, but was unable to find it. Is there not a search function on the site or have I missed it ?

Thanks,
    Brian

8. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have eggs in the bator now and plan to move them to cartons to try on day 18 when I stop turning. I saw the other thread and thought I'd give it a go.

Julie [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I would be afraid they'd get stuck in the carton and not able to get out of the egg. I'm curious about this since I think I lost the other three ducks to the violent one and then Wooster's fellow got rolled like a bowling ball and never got out.
    K

10. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by