Hatching in an eggcarton

Ronnie, what is your hum. at? Could be a touch to high?
If so try lowering it a tad. Those cartons will dry out rather quickly.
smile.png

I also use the pulp egg cartons. I feel that they would breath better then the plastic ones. Now thats just mho.
Have for quite a while since it was proven to me (by the chick hatch rates), to work much better.
Like others said, no kick games allowed under Mama hen, so not with this ole broody either!

PC I agree we have gone off topic here a bit much. I am in no way bashing Twigg for his method, let me make that clear. I can't thank BYC enough for the information that I have read here. I remember your thread on the carton vs tray method and that was a wonderful way of seeing the results first hand for yourself. I had read about the carton method here and it has saved me a lot of headaches when incubating quail. I can't say that shipped eggs it has necessarily made a world of difference because of all the factors involved. However, for incubation of my own eggs I have seen a hatch rate of about 65% go to 100%.

Sometimes newbies need all the help they can get. And as with my work with horses I have found that if you think out of the box and don't always follow what the so called "professionals" or "professional literature" states that maybe you can and do get results better to your liking and the situation. Not all horses are the same.... not all incubators, envirnoments, people, and chickens are the same.

For one hatching I had wet cartons too and that happened to my hatch because I had filled the water channels right up to the screening so that the cartons were actually sucking up the water.

I removed some water and replaced with new cartons and was good to go. BTW I had a 100% hatching on those eggs and I wouldn't hatch any other way.

I cut the bottoms out of my cartons and use the foam cartons. It has worked fine for me. I admit I have gotten variable hatch percentages. But when I hatched eggs that were layed by my stock compared to mail eggs, the once that werent shipped were much much lower (hatch rate) Cartons work for me.

Gate

Last edited:
My question is how to turn eggs in an egg carton? I'm trying it with this next hatch, and I tryed puting something hard under one end, then rotate it to the other side, but it touches the heater part on my little LG. So is it okay to just pick them up and turn them in my hand, then place them back big end up in the carton? just curious.

Quote:
You only want to put them in egg cartons after day 18, for the hatch. Up until day 18 you place them flat and turn them by hand or buy an egg turner and let it do the work.

Back
Top Bottom