Hatching in an eggcarton

RonnieAtkeson

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
Tahlequah Oklahoma
I put my eggs in an eggcarton to hatch and the carton is getting very damp looking. what can i do? Would it better to put the turner back in and let the eggs hatch in it? with it unplugged of course.

Quote:
Egg cartons are completely unnecessary.

Take them out, and let them lie on the wire grid.

Quote:
Would you like to explain why the eggs rolling around is a problem?

I ask only because it is a practise that is not recommended by anyone other than some people here. Incubator manufacturers don't suggest it, commercial hatcheries don't do it, or anything similar, and my hatch rates often hit 100% happily rolling around.

Why would folk suggest introducing material that has little beneficial effect, and risks upsetting the environmental controls, and possibly introducing infection.

Am I missing something?

What is your humidity at? Your carton shouldn't look Wet if your humidity is right around 60-70... Very slightly damp maybe but not soggy or wet...

I always get a better hatch from eggs in a carton than I do the ones I lay flat...
hu.gif
Only thing I can figure is it makes it easier for the chick to zip? I have had several that I've laid flat that will pip and not finish zipping and dyes in the shell
sad.png

Quote:
There is no good reason that eggs hatch better in a carton, that I know of.

If yours do, then I would be wanting to check the rest of your techniques.

Hatch rates are easily maximised with not a carton in sight.

Quote:
There is no good reason that eggs hatch better in a carton, that I know of.

If yours do, then I would be wanting to check the rest of your techniques.

Hatch rates are easily maximised with not a carton in sight.

I am just wondering how you turn your eggs, and what numbers are you hatching? in my bator
it is just easier in the carton, it's easy to turn them plus the air sack is always on top..I know that chickens don't stand them on end
lol.png
but we are not chickens JMHO

Don
big_smile.png

I started using the carton method last year while hatching out a bunch of quail (and I hatched out hundreds.) I won't be going back to the laying them flat in the hatcher. With the amount of soccer that goes on when baby quail start to explode so to speak in the hatcher it does affect the hatch and has mine in the past. I have started doing so in my chicken hatches now and have great results. Had a 100% just a couple days ago on my EE eggs and all were in cartons. I also use an automatic egg turner, so my eggs are use to sitting in the upright position during the entire incubation period. I have removed the bottoms of the egg carton in the past for air flow and then hatched with them completely in tack without any difference. I believe from my observation of the one broody we had hatch eggs here, that she kept the eggs in a tight clutch and even after a chick would hatch I didn't see them playing soccer under Mom. So why should we allow our eggs to roll around in the hatcher? From the video and TV clips I have seen on TV and internet, it looks like hatcheries pack their eggs in on hatching trays with little room for them to rock and roll. Just some observations.

I would say your humidity is a bit too high if your carton is soggy wet. I would also say maybe next time trying to use a foam carton so it doesn't get so saturated. Make sure when adding water not to get it on the carton.

Back
Top Bottom