hatching in carton vs hatching laying on side

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSkiveez, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I'm getting ready to lock lien and was wondering if it would be better to letter them hatch in the egg crates or to lay them on their sides. I want the best possible outcome because these are special eggs that came from someone else.

2. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Would love to read responses. I am worried about hatching chicks kicking the other eggs around like soccer balls. [​IMG]

3. hollyandty

hollyandty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    North Pole, Alaska
    Hey there undergroundchickens,
    I have had successful hatchings in the carton and out. I prefer in the carton because it's easier to clean up and the chicks like to snuggle in the cups. I do take the shells out often.
    Good luck and relax. Nature does a wonderful job.

4. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I've never had an issue with chicks abusing eggs. I think its helped some hatch out easier. I've been having an issue with eggs drying out so I was hoping to avoid it.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always hatch with them fat end up, but tilted slightly, in cut out cartons. I don't use cardboard cartons cuz it messes with the humidity.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I think it may help if your air sacks are on the big side, not having much moisture in the egg. If the air sack is a bit small I think it would hurt your hatch,

http://cmfarm.us/cartonhatch.html

7. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    just mu opinion how do hens hatch their eggs? On the sides and they still hatch. I have two quail eggs on their side and I turn them daily well until tomorrow its lock down and they are still on the side and I can see the air pocket so... But do what you feel is most comfortable for you. Im going to order more hatching eggs and do the same.... Course I have a small incubator so even if I had a bigger on theyd be on the side. Most eggs are hatched that way well except when the dinosaurs laid theres lol

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've done both, and I like the cartons best. It's a lot less messy, and I had a better hatch, and the chicks popped out faster. They don't have to fight the movement of the egg moving around on it's side to get out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by