hatching in carton vs hatching laying on side

NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez Poultry
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Casa Grande
My Coop
My Coop
I'm getting ready to lock lien and was wondering if it would be better to letter them hatch in the egg crates or to lay them on their sides. I want the best possible outcome because these are special eggs that came from someone else.

Would love to read responses. I am worried about hatching chicks kicking the other eggs around like soccer balls.
ep.gif

Hey there undergroundchickens,
I have had successful hatchings in the carton and out. I prefer in the carton because it's easier to clean up and the chicks like to snuggle in the cups. I do take the shells out often.
Good luck and relax. Nature does a wonderful job.

I've never had an issue with chicks abusing eggs. I think its helped some hatch out easier. I've been having an issue with eggs drying out so I was hoping to avoid it.

I always hatch with them fat end up, but tilted slightly, in cut out cartons. I don't use cardboard cartons cuz it messes with the humidity.

just mu opinion how do hens hatch their eggs? On the sides and they still hatch. I have two quail eggs on their side and I turn them daily well until tomorrow its lock down and they are still on the side and I can see the air pocket so... But do what you feel is most comfortable for you. Im going to order more hatching eggs and do the same.... Course I have a small incubator so even if I had a bigger on theyd be on the side. Most eggs are hatched that way well except when the dinosaurs laid theres lol

I've done both, and I like the cartons best. It's a lot less messy, and I had a better hatch, and the chicks popped out faster. They don't have to fight the movement of the egg moving around on it's side to get out.

Back
Top Bottom