Hatching in my hand

Fowl Mouthed

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
This egg was cold sitting in a nest that mom hasn't been on regularly for days. I brought it inside and have been holding it in my hand for the last hour. It's been trying to hatch since last night that's why I brought it in. What do I do? Because now the white insides are starting to dry out. But it's moving and it's p
15909346470917776907905045879948.jpg
eeping

If safe for the chick, you can add something like coconut oil to help the membrane stay moist enough
I did. A little. It's so open I'm afraid of it not being able to breathe if the oil gets near it's face. How long does this normally take? It's been slightly open since yesterday afternoon

Hatching can take from a few hours to two days in my experience. The main danger is him getting shrink w I'm not afraid of.
Hatching can take from a few hours to two days in my experience. The main danger is him getting shrink wrapped from low humidity
That's what I'm afraid of now. I don't have an incubator. Moms not sitting on the nest and I'm afraid it will get cold. It's 68 outside today. I'm holding it my hand to keep it warm. If I put in on a damp paper towel it will get cold again right? But I can't hold it all day in my hand...

That's what I'm afraid of now. I don't have an incubator. Moms not sitting on the nest and I'm afraid it will get cold. It's 68 outside today. I'm holding it my hand to keep it warm. If I put in on a damp paper towel it will get cold again right? But I can't hold it all day in my hand...
Do you have a heating pad? Do you see any veins anywhere? Is baby making any yawning or chewing motions?

Dang... Tried to say don't know about the veins. It keeps chirping occasionally tho
If there's yawning/chewing there's still yolk, leave it longer. To upload a video you have to upload it to YouTube, and then copy and paste the link here.

Back
Top Bottom