Hatching In Progress! And a question about temps.

mcleveland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Northeast Georgia
Good Morning!

First, let me say that this is the first time I have incubated eggs - before would always let my BO's do it.
So I decided I would like to have some Lavender Ameraucanas and got some eggs from a member here @bargain
Received 7 eggs, had to toss two about half way through - one wasn't fertile and the other had the blood ring.

About 3:30 this morning we had our first LA chick, then about 5:30 am we got another one! This is SO exciting! (Even though, I worried the whole time if I was incubating correctly - decided to go with the Dry Hatch Method) - so far so good!

So I also have a question. Is it normal for the temps to spike to 102 during hatching? It didn't stay there long. But honestly the temps also dropped to 97.7 after the first one hatched. I guess what I'm asking is should I do anything regarding the temps while they are hatching? Or just leave it be?

Sometimes temps might spike during a hatch a little say 1 degree or so but sounds like that Thermostat needs calibrated, to get it to stay accurate. Also opening and closing the incubator can cause spikes, drops etc. if they don't stay in the lower numbers area for more than a hour they will be fine, if they get in above the 100.5 area for longer than 30 minutes during hatch it can effect the chicks, causing brain function.
SO best bet when you get don't with this hatch get a reliable thermometer and see where the difference is in your incubator temps from the thermometer. Then just record the difference and adjust the temps for that.

First off, congrats!!! Second, I am assuming that your bator is forced air so you are striving to keep it around 99.5. Looks like maybe the little giant 9300 model? The movement of the probe by the hatchlings can cause the thermostat to go wonky and play with the temps if that's what you have. You don't want to see 102 at hatch in a forced air. If it shoots up that much and doesn't come right back down I would adjust it down. The 97 isn't bad. Many people tweak their bators down a degree at hatch so 97.7 isn't far off that anyway.

First off, congrats!!! Second, I am assuming that your bator is forced air so you are striving to keep it around 99.5. Looks like maybe the little giant 9300 model? The movement of the probe by the hatchlings can cause the thermostat to go wonky and play with the temps if that's what you have. You don't want to see 102 at hatch in a forced air. If it shoots up that much and doesn't come right back down I would adjust it down. The 97 isn't bad. Many people tweak their bators down a degree at hatch so 97.7 isn't far off that anyway.
Thanks! Actually it's a 9200 Still Air LG. Ok, I also had wondered if the babies were perhaps making it bounce a little. But, no it didn't stay at 102 very long at all maybe a few minutes. I do have another thermometer/hygrometer in the bator - and before hatch neither was close - the bator would display a temp of about 100.5 - 100.7 and a humidity of 40 to 50% (dry hatch). And the loose one I put in the bator would have a much lower temp and much higher humidity. But amazingly enough, at the point of hatch - they both were syncing up.

Ok,thank you so much for chiming in! I think I will just leave it be then, but still keep a close eye.

Thanks! Actually it's a 9200 Still Air LG. Ok, I also had wondered if the babies were perhaps making it bounce a little. But, no it didn't stay at 102 very long at all maybe a few minutes. I do have another thermometer/hygrometer in the bator - and before hatch neither was close - the bator would display a temp of about 100.5 - 100.7 and a humidity of 40 to 50% (dry hatch). And the loose one I put in the bator would have a much lower temp and much higher humidity. But amazingly enough, at the point of hatch - they both were syncing up.

Ok,thank you so much for chiming in! I think I will just leave it be then, but still keep a close eye.
The 9200 lg doesn't have built in readouts or a thermostat and probe, unless they were installed by the buyer. Plus they have the heating element that runs around the top lid. I use the 9200.
wink.png

I will say that the gages on the incubators (especially the lgs) are often wrong and one shoud never go by them (or any unchecked thermometer). Is your hatch day on schedule?

The 9200 lg doesn't have built in readouts or a thermostat and probe, unless they were installed by the buyer. Plus they have the heating element that runs around the top lid. I use the 9200.
wink.png

I will say that the gages on the incubators (especially the lgs) are often wrong and one shoud never go by them (or any unchecked thermometer). Is your hatch day on schedule?
Had to go back and check the manual - yes, its an LG 9300, sorry about that. Last night at 7:30 began day 22. So not too far off schedule. However, there are 3 eggs left, no pips.

Sometimes temps might spike during a hatch a little say 1 degree or so but sounds like that Thermostat needs calibrated, to get it to stay accurate. Also opening and closing the incubator can cause spikes, drops etc. if they don't stay in the lower numbers area for more than a hour they will be fine, if they get in above the 100.5 area for longer than 30 minutes during hatch it can effect the chicks, causing brain function.
SO best bet when you get don't with this hatch get a reliable thermometer and see where the difference is in your incubator temps from the thermometer. Then just record the difference and adjust the temps for that.
Ok,great! Thanks! :)

Had to go back and check the manual - yes, its an LG 9300, sorry about that. Last night at 7:30 began day 22. So not too far off schedule. However, there are 3 eggs left, no pips.
Yeah, the gages on those are known to be off. They are also known to have to set the thermomestat up 2-3 degrees higher than the temp you want to get the correct temps. Day 22 isn't bad considering. But I do think it's probably the probe getting moved by the chicks that was messing with the temps. It's great that you are getting some hatchers!

Back
Top Bottom