Hatching in the Dickey Chicks a hatching

Quote:
i lay them on their side,, but was gonna try the carton method,, but got my hatcher instead and i lay them in that, but they dont have as much headroom to jump around and push the others.( cause of the racks i use)
and if the dickey is anywhere like my sportsman, it takes it about 2 minutes for the temp and humidity to get back to where it was,,, but i DO close the door while "doing whatever",, but keep it "on",, and when hatching you shouldnt open at all,,, and the temp going down, and the humidity going down,, for even 15 minutes aint bad for them ( as long as none are hatching),, think about the hen getting up and eating and poo'n every day,, is the same thing.

Last edited:
I have four hatched so far. They are in the cartons. I may try to lay them on the sides next time.

Chick are still hatching. I do see on thing I will have to change though. I took the bottom egg tray out as I don't have that many eggs to put in, so instead of putting the due to hatch eggs down in the very bottom inclosed wire box with lid, i just sat them on top which moved them higher up by 3 or so inches from the bator floor. I had two fall off the end next to the door. I put them back up when I misted the eggs again and so far they climbed back up on the cartons. I will put them in the brooder box next misting.

that misting thing i would think it bad,,, you may be misting the eggs,, but your letting out the humidity every time you open it,, so the water your misting on the eggs,, is being "eaten up" by the whole bator.
hmm.png

and my hatching tray in my bator ( not the trays in the hatcher) is just a plastic box, with 4 or 5 inch walls,,, no top,, ive only had 1 chick make it to the bottom rack,,, lol ,, but the hatcher trays are ony 2 or 3 inchs high,,, i put the top on them lol.

good luck on the ones left !!

WEll, I don't like opening the bator but i am trying to do it Mr. Earnest's way this time. Just experimenting at this point for the best solution for me. I think we are getting close to done. I think I have an equal amt of white and buff silkies. These were eggs not sold in between shiipping. I was hoping for some more blacks but I am going to set some of those tonite and candle the eggs i set last Sunday

I will take pictures later today when I get back from town and move the rest of them

Back
Top Bottom