Hatching issues

roxanneperez

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Can anyone give me advise on how to have a good hatch rate? I only can hatch 17 out of 41 eggs. I have the temp perfect and they turn until 3 days prior to hatch date. There is a bad odor within 24 hours of hatching. Can I be doing something wrong?

It may not be your fault.......... what condition are the chickens you got the eggs from? Did you calibrate everything first? How was humidity? What type of bator do you have?

Some of the eggs I got from someone but 1/2 of them where my own. This is the second time I have hatched and got the same result both times. I have a Little Giant incubator. Keep temp at 99.5. Make sure there is water in well....take out all plugs 3 days prior to up humidity...What is a normal hatch out of 41 eggs?

Like a said, make sure you calibrate everything. You need a hygrometer not just "water in the well". Your thermometer is probably off then. I suggest using more than one thermometer to find that is accurate. Does your bator have a fan?? If it doesnt, the temp. should be at 102 degrees. HOw often do you turn them?

Last edited:
The last issue of Practical Poultry had a very good article on DIY hatching. If you have a fax and pm me your number I can fax it to you.
My advice is pick a system and stick to it. Find one that works right for you. There are multitudes of different systems for hatching it's a practice, practice,practice. What ever directions you decide on follow them to the letter as best you can.

Without knowing some of the details there's no way of knowing if you are doing anything wrong.

I have an egg turner which I remove 3 days prior to the hatch. I do not have a fan. I will turn up the heat next time. Once the chicks dry I take them out. Im reading now that that is wrong also. So I leave them all in the bator for 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom