Hatching lingo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 8, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Hi all...is there a thread that refers to the lingo used for hatching and raising chicks?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    No I don't believe so, is there something in particular you are looking for an explanation on? Here are the terms I can think of at the top of my head:

Auto Turner- Motor attached to egg tray that turns eggs automatically. Usually at least 12 times daily. Greatly improves hatch rate.
    Forced Air Incubator - An Incubator that has a fan installed to circulate air. Creates very stable temperatures.
    Sill Air Incubator- An incubator that does not have a fan installed to circulate air. Much more prone to temperature issues.
    Cabinet Incubator - A larger incubator, usually fits up to 300 + eggs. Can be home-made, or professional like a Sportsman (drool).
    Wiggler - A children's toy that is tube-like in shape and filled with liquid. A probe thermometer is stuck inside in order to get a better idea of the internal temperature of the eggs than what you can get via an air reading.
    Candle/Candler - The use of a bright light source in a dark room to view the inside of the egg, and determine embryo development.
    Setting/Set Date - The day the eggs are placed in the incubator, or the act of doing so.
    Lockdown - day 18 through hatch. Where the incubator humidity is increased and the eggs are not turned any longer. Do not open incubator unless absolutely necessary (IE add water).
    Pip - Hole poked in the shell by the chick during hatch. (there are two pip stages: internal- where the chick tears into the air cell, and external- which is the one you can see when the shell breaks)
    Zip - Stage after pip where chick creates a crack around the circumference of the egg before finaly pushing out
    Float Test - A test done on eggs you suspect may contain dead embryos. A floating egg is a bad sign.
    Hatch-A-Long - Common BYC event where multiple people who have set at the same time create a thread and chat while waiting for hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Thank you, the one I was wondering about was pip and zip, but the others are very useful as well! I'm so excited to start this!

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

look for hatching 101 article in search line. its priceless

5. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    When I first started researching chicks, "pip" was the most confusing term to me. I didn't know if it was an acronym or if people meant the noise chicks made. I was surprised to learn it was neither of those things, and I learned it here on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by