Hatching log of a broody satin

It's a little chilly and it's under her fluffing so hopefully later this afternoon. Here are a couple of the others.

Attachments

• 20210614_073827.jpg
    20210614_073827.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210613_150516.jpg
    20210613_150516.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210613_182335.jpg
    20210613_182335.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 1
Oooh. How many eggs? please share photos!

I’ve found reading about and looking at photo of other people’s hatches to be quite therapeutic for my first time broody mama anxiety :jumpy
That’s probably why I’m sitting here at midnight of day 18 reading tons of hatching threads🤣
There are 14 eggs.. I candled (poorly) day 13. I saw 5 with movement, 2 very probably dead, 3 are Marans dark chocolate colored eggs that I can’t see through for love or money so I have no way to even guess, and the other 4 I’m unsure of just because I didn’t see much either way. So I’m leaving them all up to God and mama Doris.

Oh, it’s midnight here too. I’m in orange county, NY. We’re not too far from each other 😁

I thought your username looked familiar and remember your thread just now, it’s the candling one!

I keep telling myself to have zero expectations, that 6 chicks could come out of this or 0... but I still find myself hoping for a 100% healthy hatch rate 😅

Oh, it’s midnight here too. I’m in orange county, NY. We’re not too far from each other 😁

I thought your username looked familiar and remember your thread just now, it’s the candling one!

I keep telling myself to have zero expectations, that 6 chicks could come out of this or 0... but I still find myself hoping for a 100% healthy hatch rate 😅
Yes, and now I truly understand the meaning of the saying “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch!”. 🥚🐣🐥

Hubby took this picture through the pop door of Doris sitting this morning.

View attachment 2699718

Go Mama Dorris!
Do Marans go broody often?
I’m guessing Paint’s silkie and cochin genes are what makes her super duper broody 🤔

////////////////

6/2 - Day 9.5 Candling
(because i couldn't wait until this evening:oops:)

I see nice strong movement in 5 of the eggs. egg number 3, which was left out in the cold yesterday is either lethargic or not moving. The veins are still there, but I’m not holding high hopes for that one.

Here’s a video of egg number 6 kicking stong!

https://youtube.com/shorts/DILLfzepxOU?feature=share

Attachments

• 9478B8EB-4B1D-46B7-93C9-296FE1E23287.jpeg
    9478B8EB-4B1D-46B7-93C9-296FE1E23287.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 5
My cuckoo marans are supreme broodys, & their olive egger daughters and easter egger grand/great grandaughters go broody multiple times each year too. Copper marans are also known to regularly go broody.

Egg #3 will hopefully soon resume obvious development. It may hatch a day or so later than the others. But then again maybe not, since some other eggs have previously gotten "left out in the cold" too. I wont be surprised if you get a somewhat staggered hatching, with some chicks hatching on day 20, with later chicks not making it out of their egg until day 22.

I have really enjoyed your progress reports and photos. Keep it up!
I’m guessing daddy is an Amercauna or EE?

It was fascinating candling them today, as I can see the obvious size difference between the embryos. I have a mental image of it like a little race with chickies overtaking each other as they run to the finish line, lol.

I checked Paint thoroughly, and she does indeed seem to have a small infestation of fluff louse, mostly in her wing fluff. I pulled back her feathers and misted her lightly. this time with an addition of a bit of peppermint oil. I'm reading that it's the species of least irritation to poultry, so that's good news at least. If my memory (and eyesight) serves me right, it looked a little different from the one I saw yesterday in her crest. However, since she's now sitting with her butt to the opening of the nest, I'll have to check her again when after her meal this evening when I can switch her around.

The nesting box is now next to my work station so I can keep an eye on her, and it turns out that she's quite the curios broody!

IMG_0267.jpg

Oh look, room service :lol:

1622902053670.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom