Hatching log of a broody satin

:frow

yay, 11 more days to go! Does Sunny peck you? a few of my lf hens will peck me when they’re laying eggs, the others will just look a bit bewildered at being disturbed, lol.

and...did you try candling when Sunny gets off the nest for her break? That’s usually when I candle, since taking eggs out from under Paint makes me nervous that I would accidentally break one.
She doesn’t really peck me, just growls and puffs up a lot. She lets me give her water out of a little bowl, it has been really HOT but forecast looks good for the rest of her sitting time. I would love to candle them but didn’t want to bring them out of the coop. I tried with the coop door shut but still too much light to see much 🙁. I will just have to try to be patient.

She doesn’t really peck me, just growls and puffs up a lot. She lets me give her water out of a little bowl, it has been really HOT but forecast looks good for the rest of her sitting time. I would love to candle them but didn’t want to bring them out of the coop. I tried with the coop door shut but still too much light to see much 🙁. I will just have to try to be patient.
That’s pretty much what Paint did too. then I started bringing her egg yolks and shelled sunflower seeds, and she stopped her growly thing, lol.

The yolk is now her favorite snack!

Attachments

• 45F276E4-BCD6-436A-B61C-99360D173568.jpeg
    45F276E4-BCD6-436A-B61C-99360D173568.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 2
Exactly my problem too. I just had to trust Doris to do her job. I did candle day 8 I think. Didn’t see much. Again day 13 but wasn’t sure of most of them. I didn’t want to chill them much by bringing them indoors to candle again so I gave up. Doris knew a few were bad and I found them broken And cleaned them out of the coop. This past Sunday they started hatching. Yesterday the 9th one hatched. Today I removed the last 3 eggs which proved to be without life. Mama Doris did her job perfectly without me really knowing what was happening in the eggs. God truly made his creation of the chicken perfect.

Yes I agree! Isn’t it so fun to watch a new mama with the babies? We started some of the eggs under her and the rest in an incubator so my son could watch them hatch. The last 2 times she hatched babies was at night so walked into the coop in a.m. to hear tiny chirps but missed the hatching. Unfortunately the bator wasn’t keeping consistent temps and was stressing me out, so we moved them all under her. Keeping the faith for those little eggs!
Exactly my problem too. I just had to trust Doris to do her job. I did candle day 8 I think. Didn’t see much. Again day 13 but wasn’t sure of most of them. I didn’t want to chill them much by bringing them indoors to candle again so I gave up. Doris knew a few were bad and I found them broken And cleaned them out of the coop. This past Sunday they started hatching. Yesterday the 9th one hatched. Today I removed the last 3 eggs which proved to be without life. Mama Doris did her job perfectly without me really knowing what was happening in the eggs. God truly made his creation of the chicken perfect

:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie

I really wish I could let my broody (Mochi) hatch an egg or two. I think she would be an amazing momma hen! She never pecks at me, though she does get very fluffy and sometimes starts clucking. And she is so dang dedicated! I'm trying to break her of her broodiness (None of my eggs are fertile, no rooster) so there's no point of her laying on a empty nest... but I still feel bad. She's been in the broody cage for a week now, and decided to somehow go broody on the roost. Oh well.

:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie

I really wish I could let my broody (Mochi) hatch an egg or two. I think she would be an amazing momma hen! She never pecks at me, though she does get very fluffy and sometimes starts clucking. And she is so dang dedicated! I'm trying to break her of her broodiness (None of my eggs are fertile, no rooster) so there's no point of her laying on a empty nest... but I still feel bad. She's been in the broody cage for a week now, and decided to somehow go broody on the roost. Oh well.
let me guess.... silkie?

Mama Doris did her job perfectly without me really knowing what was happening in the eggs. God truly made his creation of the chicken perfect.

And then humans bred in those ridiculous beards and crests :lau
I wonder whether Paint will now be able to stand her own now that I’ve given her a thorough trim. The broody genes definitely got her using her beaks (read pecking the cat) and claws (read flogging the cat)!

We started some of the eggs under her and the rest in an incubator so my son could watch them hatch.
This is one of those things I wish I had a chance to do when I was a child, what a lucky baby!

Last edited:
let me guess.... silkie?
Yep, she’s a silkie! She was brooding on a rock in two of the photos, the other one is just her being a chicken when it was snowing. (She’s usually pretty dirty, so that’s why she has a brown tinge, but she is mostly white with a small splash of black/grey here and there)

Attachments

• 80BD8250-3F82-4F22-B45B-854F59AF2014.jpeg
    80BD8250-3F82-4F22-B45B-854F59AF2014.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 48266D65-7AE3-4B2E-8CFE-5F4F88BC6A45.jpeg
    48266D65-7AE3-4B2E-8CFE-5F4F88BC6A45.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 2
  • C90903F9-7004-43EF-B2B7-E44C94830A63.jpeg
    C90903F9-7004-43EF-B2B7-E44C94830A63.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1
Yep, she’s a silkie! She was brooding on a rock in two of the photos, the other one is just her being a chicken when it was snowing. (She’s usually pretty dirty, so that’s why she has a brown tinge, but she is mostly white with a small splash of black/grey here and there)
She’s a cutie! My dumb dumb Paint did the same. When I realized that she was happy to sit in a wire cage on air, I decided I may as well get her some eggs!

My russian orloff on the other hand, can be broken simply by being kicked out of the nest a few times. I think she just does it for attention 😆

Back
Top Bottom