Hatching log of a broody satin

Pics
:pop :pop:popThis is a fun thread to watch!
Haha, not anymore! I’m going to sit on my hands for 2 days, so no more updates on the eggs... maybe

I guess I can distract myself by prepping the nesting cage for brooding 😁

5 out of 8. But we had gotten rid of our only rooster a week or so before she went broody so I'm not sure how much fertility was down.
I wanted a rooster. I find myself always scrolling through the free roos on craigslist... but I’m not allowed:hit

Haha, not anymore! I’m going to sit on my hands for 2 days, so no more updates on the eggs... maybe

I wanted a rooster. I find myself always scrolling through the free roos on craigslist... but I’m not allowed:hit
Sunny’s first clutch, 4 out of 6 hatched, all 4 roosters!! Last year, one hatched, a rooster! All of them were jerks, had to cull them. Praying for at least a couple hens with this hatch 🙏🏼

He was a big meanie to my young kids but a beautiful huge RIR. We gave him to the local feed store as I haven't culled an animal before and we had him since he was a baby chick. This clutch I hatched is at least 4 roosters. I'm holding onto hope that Dodo hatches a couple pullets, lol. Not sure what I'll do with all the roos but keeping a special cb boy(I won't hatch from him.)

Attachments

• 20201118_171722.jpg
    20201118_171722.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 2
Sunny’s first clutch, 4 out of 6 hatched, all 4 roosters!! Last year, one hatched, a rooster!
Have you... tried the lottery yet?
🤣🤣🤣

He was a big meanie to my young kids but a beautiful huge RIR. We gave him to the local feed store as I haven't culled an animal before and we had him since he was a baby chick. This clutch I hatched is at least 4 roosters. I'm holding onto hope that Dodo hatches a couple pullets, lol. Not sure what I'll do with all the roos but keeping a special cb boy(I won't hatch from him.)
I’m going to have a hard time with roosters. It’s really no fault of their own that I wanted to bring them into this world. I’ll try to give them a good pampered life, and try my best to find them great families.
But the moment they crow... they have to go, no matter the method :(

Day 19
I candled egg number 5 earlier in the day, a bit out of curiosity, a but out of concern... but that will be the last time I touch those eggs until they hatch.

I also prepped the “baby room”. I didn’t want to get the old giant tote out, so I’m going to see how long I can have them in this little thing. When they’re a few days old, I’ll let them outside with mommy during the day, either in the coop, or in a covered play pen in the garden, so I’m hoping to get atleast two weeks out of this tiny thing for nights.

Empty feed bags sure are handy! in winter i used them to block off draft in the coop, and now I’m using them to line the brooder.
I took momma’s nesting box out while I clean and the kitten came over due to curiosity. Kitten gave a wide berth around momma’s box, she almost got pecked last time when she got too close, lesson learned.

Ofcourse, being the sweet little girl she is, kitten decided to help.
9DA08BB0-F832-4E21-BB10-6F2544AABED0.jpeg

In goes the pellets...I didn’t let the kitten help me with this step, since they use the same pine pellets in the litter box :lol:
BA3C3DF7-42CD-4F9A-A70B-623DC73C1F65.jpeg

and water...
005A35BE-7E37-4546-A668-353803401E87.jpeg

And momma (who stuck her head out for a bit, as if asking, what happened here?)
FBFE38EB-47BC-4106-A7BE-C3C8D42B0C69.jpeg

Yay, I did a thing and killed 10 minutes. I then gave momma a drink. After 3 sips she gave me the sleepy squinty eye of dismissal... I turn off the lights, and say good night to the berb and the cattos.

Now for bed to shave 8 hours more off the remaining wait 😬

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom