Hatching Muscovy X Khaki crosses, need help!

From what I have read, yes but they will only lay a few, if any, during a season. From a breeding perspective, the only thing they are reliable for would be as pets or meat.

I just saw this thread. I had some mule ducks hatch a few years ago. I don't remember the details of their hatching, can't help you there. I still have two of the drakes and they are special guys.

Feathersite has info on the mules that is good. Mine are from a malard derivity over muscovy. The drakes are large, body shape more like the domestic, voice a blend of scovy & domestic. Nice sheen on the feathers.

The hens are small, lay small eggs - that have yokes - that will not hatch, but are good to eat. The hens will go broody and if you substitute other duck eggs for hers, she will do a great job of hatching the eggs and raising the ducklings.

I don.t have any experience when the scovy is the dad.

Hope you have a great hatch....

I am not a hatcher, wish I could give you some wise words from experience, but I always seek the help of the others who have posted on this thread - perhaps you could try a PM?

I just saw this thread. I had some mule ducks hatch a few years ago. I don't remember the details of their hatching, can't help you there. I still have two of the drakes and they are special guys.

Feathersite has info on the mules that is good. Mine are from a malard derivity over muscovy. The drakes are large, body shape more like the domestic, voice a blend of scovy & domestic. Nice sheen on the feathers.

The hens are small, lay small eggs - that have yokes - that will not hatch, but are good to eat. The hens will go broody and if you substitute other duck eggs for hers, she will do a great job of hatching the eggs and raising the ducklings.

Interesting! I do think I read that the egg white eggs come from when the scovy is the dad. That was from some other website though and that's why I like these forums, personal experience is always more telling than some website with a canned answer...

I am not a hatcher, wish I could give you some wise words from experience, but I always seek the help of the others who have posted on this thread - perhaps you could try a PM?
Thank you, I did PM lacrystal but I think she has her own hatches to worry about now. I'm just going to be patient (it's so hard!!), at least until tomorrow. ..

Mine haven't pipped yet either. The tapping and whistles are getting more frequent though. Come on baby duckies!

is this really how you get eggs with only whites? from sterile chickens or ducks?
Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies.
In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.
Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly.
Hinnies are not grown commercially. Males hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well.
Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females easier than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

From what I have read, yes but they will only lay a few, if any, during a season. From a breeding perspective, the only thing they are reliable for would be as pets or meat.

Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing your experience!

-Kathy

We have external pips!!
celebrate.gif
I saw at least 3 this morning when I woke up. Had to go to work but maybe I will have little duckies when I get home!

Back
Top Bottom