Hatching now (Please help) New Duckling!! Another one!

42115_watson_154.jpg
42115_watson_176.jpg
42115_watson_163.jpg

Stuck duck's brother hatched over night. When I left at 7:00pm last night he had zipped already. How long does it take for their feather to fluff out? Stuck duck is about 16 hours old. He is picking them but he looks matted. He and the new duckling are dry but matted looking.

If they are dry but still look a little matted, they will fluff out in a day or two.

See all the "dust" on the sides of this brooder? That was feather crud that slowly got groomed off or flaked away.

1002444.jpg

If I have a duckling or chick that is matted, I wash them. Make sure your brooder is already warm and rinse them under warm water, loosening the sticky spots with your fingers. Dry them well with a paper towel and pop them back in the warm brooder or incubator quickly so they don't get chilled. It takes several hours, but they are much fluffier when they dry.

The duckling on the right looks like he has a sticky spot on his head, but overall they look great.

Also, ducklings are not always as perky as newly hatched chicks, they may lay around the first day or two and not do much. Yours look very active already!

Thank you, that is what I am seeing in their bin. I have the temp at 90. Is that good?

Feedstorechick, the one does have some material on his head. I think it is where the membrane was stuck to him so long while he was trying to get out. Do big duckling have a harder time hatching?

If the ducks are all curled up under the light then you might want to raise the temp to atleast 95 degrees.

If they are hiding in the corners away from the light then you know it is too hot.

If you watch the ducks they will "tell" you what they need. Cute ducks by the way.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom