1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching on 19th day, when to help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crippledturkey, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    I have several eggs today on their 19th day with pips and they r peeping loudly and has been since 11 o clock lastnight. One has a large dime size hole, the others have just a nick in them. They r chicken eggs. Is it going normal or should I help them, 12 hours seems a long time?? Thank you.

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Can you imagine having to break through a brick or concrete wall with your face to be born? ;-) Are the holes getting progressively larger? I'd say if they are making progress, leave them be.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If they haven't hatched within 24 hrs after they pip then I will check them out and make sure the chick isn't stuck.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    It's going totally normal for your eggs. They are fine.

After pipping (making a hole in the egg) it can take up to 24 hours for the chick to zip and hatch.

Please don't think it's normal to help a chick out of their egg. It usually does more damage to the
    chick, and in my own opinion they should only be helped if they are stuck due to a mistake you made.

(Shrink wrapped, etc)

Do not open the incubator.
    Set on your hands and wait, they are fine, as of now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Agreed. Most of my chicks have hatched on day 19 or 20 so thats nothing out of the blue. As stated it can take up to 24 hours to hatch so leave them please.

6. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Definitely do NOT help unless it goes over 24 hours! And even then check to make absolute sure that there's a problem before you help. Big risk of hurting the chick. AND breaking out on its own helps a chick to gain strength. Its a natural process, usually with very few boo-boos, so just let nature take its course. I KNOW it is so very hard, but it will be worth it for the chicks well-being!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by